Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 03:23 PM

lebowski_c6 is on a distinguished road

lebowski_c6 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the help everyone. I have a feeling if the 4runner had better factory rack and cross bars, I probably would have gone with a roof rack. As it stands, the prospect of spending $$$ on aftermarket crossbars and still having only a stated 135lb weight limit for the factory rack (or only ~90lbs of cargo after the ~45lb box is accounted for) I started looking at other options. If my 4runner was newer I would consider upgrading the entire roof rack but didn't want to do that on a ~10yr old car w/ 115k miles.

So I started looking at the various hitch mounted options, including the Thule hitch box, the stowaway2 hitch box etc. But after perusing the different options on entrailer.com and watching some of the the product demo videos they have on there, I ended up going a different direction from either the roof box or hitch boxes I started out thinking of:

Products:

24x60 Curt Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Steel - 500 lbs Curt Hitch Cargo Carrier C18152

etrailer Cargo Bag w/ Mounting Straps - Water Resistant - 20 cu ft - 59" x 24" x 24" etrailer Hitch Cargo Carrier Bag 988501

Couple things that lead me this direction vs. either a roof box or hitch box:

- Considerably cheaper, paid ~$200 for both the carrier and the bag together

- Takes up WAY less space in my garage the 363 days a year I'm not using it. This was a particularly big drawback to the hitch mounted boxes, I kept looking at pictures of the Thule hitch box picturing how much garage space it would take up (the roof boxes I think I could store overhead in my garage, which would get it out of the way although a hassle to put up and get down). Right now I just lean this basket flat against the wall and after I move I will hang it on hooks on the garage wall.

- More weight capacity and volume capacity (~450lbs weight capacity, ~20cf volume, figure the soft bag will make fitting odd shaped items easier)

- More versatile (can use the rack by itself the few times I need to carry a bulky item that won't fit inside the hatch)

- Doesn't cover license plate or taillights as I had it packed, so no need to move the plate or worry about lights as on most of the hitch mounted boxes. Can even see over it decently with the backup cam.

- I was able to open the hatch as I had it packed, but with the carrier back there I found it easier to let the dogs in and out of the back by opening the drivers side rear door and folding the seat down

- One person can put it on and take it off fairly easily without a second set of hands. I also assembled it myself, which was pretty easy although a second person would have made assembly a bit easier.

Only real negative as I see it is it can't be locked, but I figure if I were to stop somewhere overnight enroute to final destination I could just throw the whole bag into the back of the 4runner overnight. Plus, the locks on all the hitch and roof boxes are pretty chintzy IMO (for the hitch boxes IMO they'd be better off including heavy duty hasps so you can use your own abloy protec padlock). On this particular trip locking it wasn't an issue as I didn't make any stops longer than to get gas until I got to my destination and unpacked. It might be a little less weatherproof as well, though nothing got very wet and I did hit some rain.

Overall very happy I went this route, particularly now that it's not in use and not taking up much space.

Last edited by lebowski_c6; 08-18-2019 at 04:29 PM.
lebowski_c6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote