Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 08:34 PM

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thai View Post
Sorry for asking the obvious...but with heavy 315s KO2...are you ready for huge power loss if you don't re-gear?? And even with re-gear, your 4runner is not exactly in excess of power to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
Every brand out there is going to just about provide the same lift capabilities… your real limitations are CV angles and stock suspension geometry.

My only real concern with jacking the truck up sky high is that you give up droop to get that lift. All lifting does is change the centerline of the shocks resting point on fixed distance your suspension stroke has.

Been there, done that, there is a happy medium for performance. Just something to think about before trying to achieve goals at either extreme.
EDIT: forgot to mention that I cited the above to agree and add what's below, lol.

It is your rig, so whatever makes you happy.

That said, I don't personally like projects that go outside a platform's bandwidth, unless we are talking an old rig with limited market value. Then, sure, whatever, its main mission is already completed.

What would the mission profile of a 5th gen on 35s be? Sounds like a dedicated rock crawler. There are two issues with that:
1/ You will either fail OR
2/ You will do mods extensive enough to make one wonder why not start from a Wrangler. And a stock Rubicon, even a TJ, will still run circles around that 5th gen on 35s in the rocks.

The result will be a vehicle that may do some extreme terrain, but not all, and that will have compromised the very features that define it, including reliability and comfort.

Chasing a Rubicon in the rocks is in my non-expert opinion equivalent to chasing a Raptor in Baja. Can you get a good part of the way? Yes, but it will be a super involved process and you still will keep facing the fact that you are going beyond the platform's envelope.

I know a guy who builds rock crawlers for a living. His mantra is basically that you can optimize a starting platform for a specific goal but you cannot make a pudding into a steak.

There are forum members who have driven the Rubicon on P-metric 285s and Golden Spike on 285s. I am saying that because these are examples of very difficult trails that are doable in a 4Runner with reasonable mods. Do you really want to try something like Pritchett Canyon in a 5th gen? It is the hardest Moab trail outside of Area BFE. I am using famous trails in the West as I have no reference for the East.

All but a dozen or two of trails that are 1/very hard and 2/some sort of destination (not a very short trail to beat up on a buggy) can be done without going outside what the 4R was designed for. The internet and youtube especially are obsessed with OHV parks and similar (and many extreme trails are not even on the internet as people are afraid they may get closed) but that's a completely different game, essentially the rock buggy game.

Finally, if you were to optimize your 5th gen for rocks, why go for a performance suspension? Eibach shocks, 5100s, Dobinsons twin tubes will all do the same job, cost a lot less, and probably last longer. And no need to bother with rebuilds etc.

My 2c.
(6112s/650lb at 2.25" lift, 8100 rear with Bilstein B12 1.5" springs, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LTE 265 70 17, RCI set of front 3/16 skids, Shrockworks step sliders and 3/16 steel gas tank skid, C4Fab rear diff skid, Rockmen rear LCAs, Total Chaos rear LCA bracket skids, Diode Dynamics SS3 white fog lights).

Last edited by MAST4R; 08-20-2019 at 10:26 PM.
MAST4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote