View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 04:09 PM

pinemind will become famous soon enough

pinemind will become famous soon enough
Hi everyone,

Lack of updates, I know. Too much fun with the top off and I've been traveling a lot for work and weddings.

But here are a few items of what I've been working on. Most of my activities now are focused on getting the interior sorted. I had grand plans of soundproofing the floor which consists of sound deadening (butyl based), then a sound proofing with mass-load-vinyl (MLV) on the floors, and closed cell foam on the vertical panels. The cargo area wasn't too hard, and I was able to lay down the sound material and line the quarters, before putting on the new molded vinyl floor covering in light brown. I ordered this from ACC, and to be honest, the wheel well covers were not molded very well. There was a lot of extra material to cut, plus cutting the holes for the roll bar. I think I cut too much off and they don't want to lay flat, even with a relief cut. I'm going to see if I can just order replacement wheel well pieces to give it another go as it's bothering me. I used Noico for the sound deadener and closed cell foam sheets. Then I used SecondSkin Luxury Liner Pro for the mass loaded vinyl. They are the only US based company that offers a mass-loaded vinyl product, which is unfortunate because it comes in precut sheets. I would have liked to order a custom length to have one unbroken sheet, mainly for when I do the passenger area to cut down on gaps where sound can escape.

Sound deadener in place on cargo floor:

Mass-loaded vinyl on floor and closed cell foam on top of deadener in passenger side quarter panels:

ACC Brown factory vinyl cargo area in place:

I gave up on trying to find a body shop or paint supply store that could do custom mixing/matching of SEM ColorCoat interior paint to paint the faded quarter panels. It's a shame since I know the capability exists, but everyone they list as being able to do this, had no clue what I was talking about. And I called about 30 shops in a 250 mile radius. However, I found this Duplicolor ColorMaxx paint that matches almost exact to a stock, non-faded dark brown dash piece (Satin Leather Brown). However, due to fading, it doesn't match so well to the top part of the brown side panel pieces. I'll keep my search going but this suffices for now. I used Duplicolor's Adhesion promoter after wiping it down with wax/grease paint prep removal. No sanding and it adhered great! I was not looking forward to sanding those brittle panels. I also had to paint the Christmas tree clips, because Toyota only makes them in black as replacements, and I didn't have any in the parts bin from the previous owner.

Oh and I also found some OEM front mudflaps in great condition and mounted those. The BFG A/T's are kicking up too many rocks so it comes at a great time. You can also see the restored rears mounted as well

I just got word my bench seat and passenger seat are done at the auto-upholstery place, so I'll be picking those up tomorrow and giving them the driver's seat to do. I still have some work to do before I install the bench seat, like painting the exposed paint areas from primer grey to the factory 033 white, and figure out what I'm doing for sound proofing in the cabin area. I also have to do the remainder of the inner quarter panels with sound deadening and closed cell foam. Then I switch gears to replacing the water pump, and the rabbit hole of my random warm idle misfire (started another thread) that is driving me nuts.

Oh, another little find here as I went through my idle troubleshooting. It was expensive, but I found a new stock OEM igniter module on ebay. I'm going to use it as a tester as testing the igniter is not the easiest thing to do. If it doesn't solve my idle problems, I'm just going to save it for a rainy day in the future when it does eventually crap out. This part has been discontinued since god knows where, so it's always interesting to find new old stock of OEM parts to stash away.

pinemind is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote