Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 06:28 PM

scribb will become famous soon enough

scribb will become famous soon enough
Quick Update

Okay. I'm back. Serious delays. Long waits. Long stories. But getting traction again.

Here's the deal:

When the cams came back from Kelford, the intake cams didn't fit! We'd waited a couple of months for the new street cams to ship, and when they arrived, the exhaust cams fit right in, but the intake cams were off--the machining for the oil passages was off and the snout was too short. (Kiel's explanation is below the pics.) Doh!

The good news is, Kelford offered to make it right and custom ground replacements. But we had to ship them back and then wait for the new ones. The engine is now being assembled. The tranny is also back, rebuilt and beefed up--exactly how, I'll have to circle back and update, because I forgot the details.

The bad news is I can't get up to Modesto to pick it up for a couple of weeks, and I still have a few related projects to finish, like replacing the drive shafts and wheel bearings while I have the truck in pieces. So, I'm targeting the last week of September to have the motor stuffed back in, and then I'll arrange with the tuner to install the ECU and harness.

From Kiel at Kelford about the cams.
(If you wind up buying Kelford cams, you can thank me for taking the R&D hit. )

It appears we were somewhat mislead with the R&D parts we got to commission these cams for all of the UZ VVTi’s, but we have confirmed the 1UZ and 3UZ are compatible definitely now. There could still be a variant of the 2UZ that they work with but we haven’t found it yet if it exists.

The 2UZ VVTi has a different snout to the 1UZ and 3UZ VVTi where the phaser goes on. They’re painfully similar but the nose of the 2UZ is shorter with slightly different machining for the oil passages, otherwise the cams are identical. It does appear to be something the raw castings we had made can be machined to but it won’t be until our next stock run of them which will be some time now unfortunately.

For what it’s worth the thrust surfaces in the heads are ever so slightly different too.

My apologies again for the delays mate, we are working to get them back to Nick as fast as we can, without rushing.
scribb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote