View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM

jpeaslee is on a distinguished road

jpeaslee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo_76 View Post

So what signs are you actually getting that the engine is overheating?? You stated the temperature gauge isn't up and staying the same as it always has.

Or are you using an Scanner and it is showing you actual engine temperature and thinking it should be cooler.

I know mine even smelled hot and heat off engine was much higher when my gauge was up on the upper white line...

I know my gauge on all 5 of mine is always slightly below half with the factory 180 degree thermostat in them. :-)

You do have the bases covered, so I can understand why you are scratching your head. Sorry I couldn't be more help. :-[
I'm getting temps with my scangauge II. I could be wrong, but I was pretty sure the factory thermostat was a 190. Aside from the coolant boiling last year (hasn't this year, replaced the broken rad cap and not much high stress driving) and just higher than normal temps on an engine that never fluctuated much, there aren't any signs of overheating. I just want to get as many miles out of my 270k engine as possible.

I'll post some pics later tonight, but I'm pretty sure I figured out the culprit. I was looking things over and noticed my ac condenser had a lot of junk in it. About 2 years ago on a wheeling trip i went nose down in a mud pit, enough that water and mud got about 2 inches deep in my passenger side floorboard (and rising before I got tugged out). I'm sure just about the entire radiator was under. 15 mins with a garden hose and i had a nice little mud pit underneath my car. Cranked up the truck and within 2 mins it went from 216 to 190. I'll need to take her for a little longer drive, but I'm pretty sure this was my problem. Pretty pissed at myself for not noticing any sooner.

67 M416 Trailer springover on 33s w/ HEO RTT
jpeaslee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote