Thread: Tire decision
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Elite Member

Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
I'm far less educated than either @Thai or @MAST4R on this subject, but when you compare the diameter of the KO2 and the AT3W

KO2: 31.65" and 657 REV/mile

AT3W: 31.7" and 668 REV/mile

...if the AT3W is truly .5" larger in diameter, how is it possibly doing more revolutions per mile?

The math isn't adding up to me...? But this is what TireRack says about the REV/mile spec:

That makes me wonder if the P-Rated AT3W is a more pliable, softer material... allowing it to "slip" more against the road compared to a LT tire?
Could be...but....

See this post: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3351100-post6.html

The pictures in the post...granted on a Lexus GX, not 4runner, and with tire size different (265/65/18; 31.5")...you can clearly see that Michelin Defender is significantly taller (bigger diameter) than Falken AT3W of the same size. Michelin is huge and actually rubs against KDSS bar, while the Falken had plenty of room to spare. And the pics were done UNLOADED because they were taken under the spare tire.

So, while both are technically in the 31.5" category (265/65/18), Michelin Defender with REV/MI of 659 is clearly taller UNLOADED than Falken AT3W with REV/MI of 675.

Thus, Rev/Mi is accurate not just loaded, but unloaded as well. It shows you how one tire compares to another of same size.

And this is why on ClubLexus GX forum, there was so much confusion about 265/65/18 because one person says that there is no rub, while another says that it rubs. One person swears one thing; another swears the opposite.......until I looked more closely at the specs of tire(s) in question and found Rev/Mi discrepancy. And it explained everything.
2024 Subaru Impreza RS
Lets Go Brandon!

Last edited by Thai; 09-11-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Thai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote