Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 06:24 PM

Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road

Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo_76 View Post
Making great progress LMS. Sometimes the rust is beyond making work properly again. I cant tell you how many welded on nuts a cut off over the years and welded new ones on.

I had a hose for a while on the breather but unless you are mudding or constantly under water. I dont see the point. I swapped it for a new breather a while ago..

If your that rotted up, keep a real close eye on your 3rd member back plate. Those are fairly thin steel and rot out leaking gear grease out. Best if possible to catch that before it starts leaking. Keep it painted really good and coated with fluid film etc as once it starts seeping. The only thing you can do is drain it super clean it and jb weld epoxy that plate. Then fill it back up with gear grease.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Brillo,

Interesting point you make about the back plate?
I look and notice some thin sheet metal rusted to shreds, but the basic back plate where the pads and other items bolt to is fine, so a bit confused as to where or if anything is needed. When its time to go after those bearings it will be just as well to replace what has rotted back of that plate I guess.

I started working on removing the side bumper, and man are those bolts a *****, got one off and using PB blaster and letting the others soak overnite! I had to use the torch and almost started the truck on fire, lol The torch did not do a dam thing for the cable attachment of the brake cable??

Working on these suckers after all this salt is a royal PITA......
Last Man Standing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote