View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold
Elite Member

Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold Thai is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
I have been doing research on tires for a month now, and I've got about 2 weeks before I need to make a decision. I've looked at threads here, other 4Runner forums, Tacoma forums, Google, Tundra forums, Tire Rack, Discount Tire, YouTube and more. Here is where I'm at now:

The BFGoodrich KO2 is more tire than I need, and I want a tire that's softer and more compliant for day-to-day driving, and that's also not as heavy.

I love the look of the KO2 but I have to be realistic about my needs. I just got a new 2019 Limited 4X4 and don't plan to beat this one up on trail rides. Occasional service and mountain roads for fishing and hiking? Yes. But that's really it. I have the 17" Sequoia/Tundra wheels so am shopping for 265 70/R17.

I am planning on a P-Rated tire this time around since I don't need load range C or higher. This alone should make a big difference with ride quality. Several tires have come and left the list, but here is where we stand now. I included the KO2 as a comparison point since that's what I have now:

A few notes on the tires above:

Falken Wildpeak A/T3W: I'm concerned about the weight of this tire. It's a little heavier than the C-rated KO2, and I'd really like to get to something in the low 40s for MPG, acceleration and general driving "feel." The issue has been raised by @Thai about the higher Rev/Mile metric compared to the others - I emailed Falken my question last week and have not heard back. This is strange to me... the numbers don't really line up with the Rev/Mile metric. Also some complaints about balancing these tires.

Nitto Terra Grappler G2: I've seen this tire on the street a lot, I know it was puncture prone on that infamous YouTube video where someone took a P-rated tire on a rocky trail trip, and some folks have anecdotally expressed concern about the wet traction. I skimmed through all 78 reviews on Discount Tire and only 2 mention wet traction as a problem. In fact, most mention wet traction as a positive point for this tire. Also, it's comparatively light, has a 65,000 mile warranty, and I found several reviews from folks who really like them.

Michelin LTX A/T 2: When I found this tire, I was initially really excited: low weight, Michelin name, lots of positive press about it being a great hybrid between an AT tire and a highway tire. However, there are numerous reviews about the tire wearing prematurely and unevenly. Some of them mention it's an inherent problem with the tread design. For the price, I'm not confident about taking a plunge when there are so many negative reviews about wear - and a few about wet traction problems when wearing down.

Hankook Dynapro ATM AF-10: In my search, I saw several mentions of this tire and added it to my list. However, upon further research, I read a lot of reviews about poor wet traction. The most of all of the tires I researched. It's light (40lbs) and relatively inexpensive, but I'm not sure it's as smooth or sure footed as I am looking for.

Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus: This is a fairly new tire but I've found nothing but positive reviews from people who have driving habits that seem to mimic mine. There are no reviews of this tire on Discount Tire, and it has a 4.5 rating on Tire Rack. Here's a Tacoma thread about the tire. I actually cannot find anything negative about this tire in any reviews, and lots of people are saying they prefer it to the KO2, plus it has a smoother ride and better traction. I'm a little on the fence about buying a tire without more reviews to read, but it's light and fairly inexpensive.

Right now, I would rank them as follows:

1) Nitto Terra Grappler G2: Low weight, overall positive reviews, price and it seems to be the most well rounded tire coming out of my research
2) Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus: Universally positive reviews, though again, I'm a little uneasy about the number of reviews. Feel good about price and weight, too.
3) Michelin LTX A/T 2: This would be me taking a chance, because truly 50% of the reviews mention poor/uneven/premature wear and it's concerning.
4) Falken Wildpeak A/T3W: I'm not really digging 46.5lbs on a P-rated tire, plus i have concerns about the rev/mile metric and nobody from Falken has replied.
5) Keep my KO2s.
6) Hankook Dynapro ATM AF-10

Does anyone have insights or experiences to add to this?

Any tires I missed? The Cooper sizing/rating is hard to find in 265/70R17, except for the Discoverer AT3 4S which I had a hard time finding reviews for.

Anyone want to shoot down my thinking or speak up for the Wildpeaks?

Thanks in advance.
How about Goodyear AT Adventure with Kevlar?

I would not get Michelin AT because it is an old design with old materials...the Defender is PROBABLY a tougher tire than it.

Falken...great value...but you get what you pay for...cheap steel plies, heavy, and runs small.

BFG KO2...great tire, but heavy...but tough as nails. Won't age gracefully from what i hear.

If i were to get Hankook, then get AT-2 not ATM.
2024 Subaru Impreza RS
Lets Go Brandon!

Last edited by Thai; 09-17-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Thai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote