View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 03:11 PM

suncoug is on a distinguished road

suncoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo_76 View Post
Yes those are look like great kits. I agree with you guys that they are and its awesome to have them as an option.

You can't drive without the upper control arms missing. I did however, come up with a way to reattach those brackets as well.

Basically, you line the tube with a steel gas pipe and weld it in place. Then weld the upper brackets to it..

I used to that in the 1980s pickups as their shock pipe brackets would rust off.

Yes, once the LCA brackets come off. it does make a challenge to get them aligned back up..

Toyota does make a collision repair manual for the Gen 3 4 runners. This would give you the measurements needed to put those LCA back in the correct spot.

If you wish, you can send me PM of your photos and I can offer ideas on how to repair your bad spots in your frame. Or start a thread..:-D

I have to replace the LCA brackets in my Tetanus 2 as they are fairly rotted out when I redo its frame. I will be pulling those off and putting replacements on but that will probably be a few years away. As i need to finish the 2 in my garage first.. (1997 5 speed and 2001 sport in there now)

I just plate behind the cab mounts, then I have steel to weld too. The new cab mount welds right into the old place and its super solid.. I did that on that front arch in one my photos.

Its the holes in the frame that get us in the rust belt. That is why I weld them shut as I fix them. If the frame is sealed out its harder for it to rust from the inside out..

Look were the factory holes in the frame are in the wheel wells where you can see what happened. Its nearly impossible to keep the frame clean in the winter. The salt brine and calcium chloride they use on the roads in this state just rots rusty steel extremly quickly. :{
I thought the factory holes were necessary. This seems contrary to the general sentiment on this topic.

Regarding the cross member, I actually got a a heavy duty tube with the right outer diameter. I plan on welding it inside the existing cross member. I think I saw the trick on youtube somewhere. The tube cost me almost $100. I have heard about using a exhaust pipe but I didn't want to have it fail again.

It's good to know about the factory collision repair manual. BTW, I just received the Autorust kits and I don't know how I could have made it myself. It is very long and well made. I will start the prep work and get things ready.
suncoug is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote