View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 03:10 AM

WrenchTech is on a distinguished road

WrenchTech is on a distinguished road
Just bought my first 3rd gen

It is a 1999 SR5 3.4 auto, Horizon Blue Metalic 8N1, blue cloth, factory 16” alloys, 265/70/17 AT tires, rear heat, A/C, sunroof, electric locking rear dif. It’s got 285,000 miles on it. It has had timing belts done twice. The last time was at 199,000 miles. It runs strong and goes down the road straight. The brakes are a little weaker than I think they should be and the front suspension dives on hard braking. I am in Wisconsin but the 4runner is from Wyoming originally. So it has much less rust than a ‘99 would have if it had lived it’s entire life here. But it does have rust after six Wisconsin winters. The frame is very good and the body panels are all good except for the rocker panels which have a couple blisters and one 6 inch long section with more rust. There are also rust blisters around the windshield. And of course the chrome bumpers need to be replaced. As do the running boards. I have looked at the attachment points for the running boards on the floor pan and the backside of the pinch-welded seam where the floor pan is joined to the rocker panel, and it is pretty much rust free. The door sills, and particularly the rear door sills at the rear wheel opening are also rust free.

I would be willing to pour some time and money into this 4runner.I would like to tackle the front suspension, steering and brakes first off. Then, if I get through the winter all right, I am thinking about buying a low mileage JDM engine from an importer in Chicago next spring. That would also be a good time for me to tackle the rust issues.

The funny thing is that I just bought this for a winter beater, but now I’ve had it for a few days that I want to do all kinds of stuff to it. That ever happened anybody else up in here?

Last edited by WrenchTech; 09-29-2019 at 03:36 AM.
WrenchTech is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote