View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 06:41 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Rocks View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and have the dreaded question asked 1000 times: Which 4Runner best suits my needs?

I have been researching for a few weeks, read many build threads, and just came across iBison's pre-purchase info thread. I know this forum will be very helpful and informative once I make a purchase, and I'm certain if I look around I'll find the answers to all my questions. There's only one problem, I don't know $hit about cars.

That being said, a lot of the information I'm finding is way over my head and frankly I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've been able to narrow it down to a 4th gen 4Runner over a 3rd gen due to towing capacity.

Part of the reason for looking at a 4Runner is space, originally I was looking at a brand new Tacoma, but I have 4 dogs I enjoy taking camping and even more importantly I do NOT want a car payment. I also need to tow a boat anywhere from 5 miles to the boat ramp, to 200 miles across the state to my parents' house at least once or twice a year. This has me leaning towards the V8. Based on my research I'm looking at +/- 2800lbs for the boat, trailer, gear, etc. I live in Central Florida and therefore don't have to worry about any elevation, other than the boat ramp itself, so am I really limited to the V8 or would I be fine with the V6? Again, I've read multiple posts on this topic, but to me its in another language.

Then there's the issue of 2WD vs 4WD. This is may exercise outside of Florida if and when I get the chance, and I'm planning to move to WA in the next 3-4 years (the 4Runner would come with, the boat would stay behind). Even with FL being relatively flat, I do like off-roading when I can and I really liked that my '12 Forester was AWD. Honestly, I would get another Forester in a heartbeat, but I'm needing that higher towing capacity, and my fiancé is not a fan of me taking her Crosstrek for a ride.

This brings up a specific question for me:
In iBison's thread I read that: "The v8 is full time all wheel drive while the v6 is selectable 4 wheel drive." From my limited knowledge that leads me to understand that the V8 is all time AWD like my Subarus and the V6 gives me the option to choose between 2WD and 4WD like, say my old Jeep Cherokee 4x4 did. Am I right? Please remember I am a complete idiot and half only a partial idea of what I'm talking about. The reason I bring this up is because in my search for a 4Runner I have seen V8's two different ways, one without the dial by the radio and with it. Again, my knowledge and understanding here is limited, but shouldn't there be no dial since its "full time all wheel drive"? Should there only be a dial for the V6 models with the selectable all wheel drive? Is the dial not for selecting? I figure I'm either missing something obvious and above my head, or I'm looking at a rebuilt car?

The other thing I found was info regarding cars built post 12/05 (if I remember correctly), and that has me wondering, is there a year or multiple years I should stay away from. Does that pertain to both the V6 and V8?

To sum up I need a car that is not only capable of towing a small boat at around 2800lbs but does it comfortably and reliably, and is also fun and capable off-road. I know modifications to the vehicle can help in both situations and I welcome and suggestions, just remember I know nothing about cars. I know with time I'll understand what things are, what they mean, and how they work but for now I need some help.
Any 4th Gen without the "dial" is a 2WD only, both the V6s and the V8s 4WD have the "dial" with the V6 you can select 2WD or 4WD, on both the V6 and the V8 you can also select hi and low range.

The year models that are a concern is only for the V6s, early models have a "possible" head gasket failure issue....meaning that not all early V6s will have the head gasket fail but one never knows if it will or won't fail, Toyota redesigned the head gaskets for any build date after 12/05 and no issues with the new design gaskets, so any 2006 (if the build date is after 12/05) and onward is a safe bet for the V6s, or if you find a early build 4th gen V6 and can confirm that the head gaskets were replaced at some point it would also be a safe bet as the new designed head gaskets would have been used in the replacement...IF OEM head gaskets were purchased for the replacement.

For your towing needs either the V6 or the V8 will do the job, I personally would prefer the V8 for doing any towing but that's just me, the V8 will tow easier but the V6 will do the job for the weight you will be towing, if when towing with either the transmission keeps down shifting from 5th to 4th gear to keep your speed up it's best to just tow in 4th gear instead of 5th gear, also an FYI a 2WD 4th Gen V8 can actually tow a tiny bit more weight than a 4WD V8 can, it's only 300lbs more rating and I'm not sure why that is, just thought you would like to know that the 2WDs are highly capable of towing tasks.

Whether to get a 2WD or a 4WD is up to you...BUT if I were moving to a state that has snowy winters, mountains and or deserts I would get a 4WD.

Also another bit of info, for the V8s models...the 2003 model only had a 4 speed transmission, all V8s after that had the 5 speed transmission, for the V6 models, the 2003 and 2004 only had a 4 speed transmission, all V6s after that had the 5speed transmission.

Last edited by AuSeeker; 09-29-2019 at 06:50 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote