Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 11:49 AM

C.Rocks is on a distinguished road

C.Rocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofenshmirtz View Post
At +/-2800lbs total weight, the v8 or v6 would be fine. You'll want 4WD for instances when you back up too deep into the boat ramp. The V8 is full time 4WD which isn't the same as AWD. You have 4 Low with the 4runner with either engine, which would be good again if you start spinning at a wet boat ramp.

The ones without the dial are 2WD only.
So the V8 without the dial is a 2WD? Thats the biggest thing I'm confused about. Is it that the V8 4WD is full time 4WD where as the V6 4WD is part time 4WD? Is that the difference I'm missing or do I just have incorrect information.

I'm sorry lol

Quote:
Not to muddy the waters any more necessary, but you may have more space for 4 dogs and camping equipment in an older model Land Cruiser or Sequoia. I've got a wife and 2 little ones, and we don't have room to bring our dog when we camp - it just depends on how minimalist you are with your camping style, how big your dogs are, and how long your trips are.

Since you said Fiancé... If kids are coming during the span you want to own the 4Runner, you'd probably be best served getting a Sequoia. The first gen Sequoia used the same V8 as the 4th Gen 4runner. The second generation has the newer, larger V8 available. Both Gens are much larger and would handle multi-dog camping trips better. Not being a car enthusiast, a lot of the knocks against Sequoias are probably non-issues for you. AND, a lot of the things people really like about (and Value $$) in the Land Cruisers would be equally non-issues for you as well.

If you've already eliminated Land Cruisers or Sequoias for whatever reason
I haven't ruled them out, or even considered them. The 4Runner was an "accidental find" while looking for a Tacoma, and honestly I'd much rather have an SUV than a truck with the dogs. They're all good sized, but we rarely take them all anywhere at once (one of them hates being in the car) and currently the two "adventure dogs" fit in the back of the Crosstrek, with all the gear piled up in the back seat. The biggest dog is just too tall for the Crosstrek, but he fit in the Forester just fine, we actually took him and one of his sisters on a 2 week trip from FL to NM, AZ, UT, CO and back a couple years ago with most of the camping gear in a rooftop box. Since you mentioned the Sequoia, I did go ahead and take a look at it and I do like the similarities to the 4Runner. It seems like its quite big though and that would be my only reservation. I'm going to carrying a kayak around with whatever car I get so I'd like something that isn't giant, as I myself am not either. That was one of the biggest pros of the Tacoma actually.

I like the Land Cruisers as well, I had seen a few prior to your post, but they seem to be a tad out of my price range. I also don't want to pay for a bunch of luxury that I don't want or need, I don't even like sunroofs

Quote:
a 06-09 V8 4WD 4Runner is "the one" to have - every issue they have has a work around that someone here has probably documented. Ones in good shape hold value and can go many hundreds of thousands of miles with good maintenance.

Whenever you find one, you could probably take a bunch of pictures underneath and in the engine bay and post them here for people to point out any obvious issues. No matter what, you'll want to get a mechanic to inspect it. You'll come out cheaper paying for an inspection and not buying a piece of junk than you would unwittingly buying a piece of junk and having to fix it later.
I appreciate this info and I'll definitely be looking here for advice once I find a potential vehicle. I'm feeling a lot better about the information I've been given thus far and It's certainly going to make this an easier process!

I know it all comes down to maintenance and condition of the vehicle itself, but for a 06-09 car, how much mileage is "acceptable" and where should I start to maybe reconsider?

There's a couple of cars around me with less than 150k but both are 2WD V6's. If I couldn't find a 4WD V8 with low milage and in good condition, would I ne better off with a 2WD V8 (for the towing capacity) or a 4WD V6 (for the off-road, future living situation)?