Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Canoe Carrying
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 09:00 AM

volkinator will become famous soon enough

volkinator will become famous soon enough
Canoe Carrying

Hey gang, Question RE canoes and strapping to the roof rack. For those that have done it, what's your best practice?

The roof rack sits so far back I feel like I put too much weight towards the front, and the direction of pull keeps pulling it forward (both front and back)

If I center the weight of the canoe on the bars, it hangs off the back, and there's not many good places to get a rear pull on the front of the boat...

I tried both these ways last time; first pushing weight forward to get straps to the loops under the front bumper and to the tow hitch (still put straps around the belly on the crossbars)

Second centering the weight over the bars and strapping the belly to the bars and a strap to the rear hitch.

The first trip the boat was much more secure, but just sat so far forward I wasn't super comfortable. The second trip the boat wobbled around since it didn't have as much support to the front.

I've seen the "under the hood" loops, but got to thinking would ditch light brackets be sturdy enough to get some tension on? What am I missing, or am I just being paranoid...