Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 02:43 AM

DarthYota is on a distinguished road

DarthYota is on a distinguished road
totally agree about the 7" wide wheels...makes no sense to me, which is the main reason Im going to get new wheels. besides differentiating me from the rest of the world.

funny how we have such a different response to the ride.

I know a lot of people say it's harsh, and occasionally I notice it but for the most part I dont. So I'm either used to it, or maybe our roads arent that horrible? I'm in northern VA. DC road suck but out in the burbs it's generally pretty decent except for tail end and right after winter.

With the exception of my previous car (chevy equinox) to the 4runner, my cars over the last 15-20 years as an adult have all been german sports sedans. So their ride is a little tighter than most anyway.

Coming down from Keystone to Denver in that SR5 on a big sweeper on I-70 at 75mph had me on edge. I was praying i wouldnt need to make an emergency maneuver. At any moment I might shoot across the lanes or was on the verge of tipping. The LE might seems a bit harsh but to me feels planted and not going anywhere I dont point it (except emergency braking nosedive is a little hairy) and I typically drive around 75-85 on the highways. If you're not first, you're last.

A few of the wheels I'm looking at are 20x9. Would definitely be going P rated. Even though the ratio is still a 60, given that Im going up to a 275 I'd get the higher sidewall anyway over the stocks. But I'll take a look at the 18's, specially if Im about to drop 2-4 g's.

Yeah I went back and looked at the weight for the Grabbers. They were 13lbs per tire more than the G015. So I whacked them from the list.

Toyo's havent been updated in 10 years...so old tech and I need to use some kind of criteria to eliminate choices and not be stuck in analysis paralysis. I mean if they were spectacular tires still, I pick up, but reviews didnt indicate that.

Revo 3's are the most expensive, $50 per tire more than the G015 for seemingly not much of a significantly better tire. Previous gen had bad wear/longevity issues. Havent seen a whole lot of people mention this gen either.

SO..... I'm down to the G015 and the TerrainContact's. TC's are $20 more on tirerack so thats somewhat negligible. I do have an affinity for german engineering. TireRack says the G015 are only fair in wet braking but Consumer Reports gives them a slightly better mark for hydroplaning, snow, and ice. Oddly the TC's score 4 points higher on CR.

Not that the TC's look bad but initial reaction is the G015's look better.

aaaarrrrggggggg! lol
2014 LE - Attitude Black w/Redwood - MODS - Status Mastadon 20x9+5 Carbon Graphite w/Yokohama G015 275/55/20, TRD Pro Front End, RCI Aluminum Skids Bumper-Trans, Rhino-Rack Pioneer 76x49 Backbone System (Chopped to 68x49), GTR Carbide LED Headlamps, DD SS3 MAX Amber Fogs, Gibson Catback Side Exit Dual Tip Black Ceramic Exhaust, Tint: 20% Front/%35 Rear/Limo sunroof, Black Door Handle Covers -

Last edited by DarthYota; 10-03-2019 at 02:45 AM.
DarthYota is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote