Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 12:27 AM

daesonn is on a distinguished road

daesonn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHarney View Post
There are two C rated 285s available from BFGoodrich, an S rated and Q rated model, with the only discernible difference being the S is rated for 112mph vs 99mph for the Q rated model. The Q rated model is advertised at 51lbs., and the S rated model is rated at 58lbs. The 275 E rated tire, sits neatly in the middle of both at 55lbs., and is speed rated at 106mph.

Soooooo, if all you care about is MPGs and not cutting up your rig, than by all means get the 275, because honestly 4lbs. per tire is not going to matter all that much, especially when you are going to have lower rolling resistance, lower coefficient of drag, etc.........

Now, for all the engineers that populate this forum, they may beg to look at your driving habits and if you do a lot of highway driving on flat land, where having a larger tire could drop your RPMs enough to save you $5 or $6 bucks over the course of 10,000 miles......

Waste not want not.
So the Q is rated at 99mph and the lightest tire of the 3 options.... interesting. I don't really ever find myself going over 99mph and I doubt if I end up a few mph over that for a few seconds/minutes at a time that the tires are going to shred off, am I right? Maybe I'm being silly trying to save 32lbs of (total) wheel weight but that seems fairly significant...
daesonn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote