View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Johnnie is on a distinguished road

Johnnie is on a distinguished road
my first steering issue that was hard to diagnose was the steering column collapse joint. 2 square pieces of metal in the steering column where one fits inside the other, they are peened at the factory to lock them together but if you have an accident where the steering column get pushed towards the driver they will collapse one into the other and not take your head off. other people including me who have encountered this removed the steering column and had our buddy spot weld the pieces together, no more play and also no more collapse feature, these pieces are very expensive to buy new and I suppose every one has their own way of weighing out cost versus risk. make your own decision. somewhere in the posts should be photos that will make more sense. BTW you can isolate this to confirm it , get a hold of lower shaft in the cabin and move steering wheel back and forth slowly and you can feel the play. I tried squeezing the outside shaft together to take the play out but it is really hard steel , it would probably take a hydraulic press otherwise
Johnnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote