Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Pendoggo4R is on a distinguished road

Pendoggo4R is on a distinguished road
Got mine today. Some quick thoughts:

- Install was fairly straightforward; if you've wrenched before, you can figure this out. But the instruction sheet.. I thought it could have been done better cause I couldn't really make any sense of it. Credit to Sherpa though, got the rack on just fine without the instructions.

- Sherpa gets an A+ for communication. They're responsive, esp over the phone.

- Hardware upgrade to black hardware is a little pricey, and it only includes exterior facing hardware. The nuts on the insides of the rails, the front leveling mounts, and some of the smaller bolts inside the assembly were silver. Minor gripe, but still a gripe for a $45 upgrade. Also, for some reason I was short two black washers so two of the washers on the outside are silver. In the end I had about 6 silver washers left over. I plan to contact Sherpa for a couple extra.

- Finish is excellent. The powder coat is very even and well applied. I bumped a few crossbars and had a few scuffs, but the finish didn't compromise.

- Main install gripe: the front leveling mount portion of the install was a giant pain in the ass. I'm no engineer, but I didn't understand why there weren't fixed points in the front crossbar that the leveling mounts attached to. The amount of finagling and loosening and tightening (huge pain with the nylon centered nuts) just to get the rubber mounts to sit centered in the gutter, then to have it shift when working on the other side. Do the exterior dimensions of the 4Runner vary slightly from the '10 to '19 productions? I guess that would make sense. Otherwise it seemed to me that getting the mounts dead center with fixed bolting points would have been a very feasible thing to do.

- Front fairing is gapped a few millimeters so it's not touching the roof. Hit 70mph on the way home today, no whistling. Fantastic.

- One of the rails came with a pretty decent sized chunk on the edge. Sherpa wrapped the ever loving hell out of the components, so I don't know.. FedEx must have really done a number on this in transit cause it's very noticeable. Annoying, but not Sherpa'a fault.

I'll post pictures and possibly more thoughts tomorrow. It was pretty damned dark when I finished.

Overall, highly recommend Sherpa. It looks fantastic, good dudes to deal with, and seems like it's gonna be up on the car for a long time to come.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Pendoggo4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote