Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 PM

DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice

DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice DougR is just really nice
I had no issues with fitment and quality of the Amazon metal oil filter cap. I like the Motiv MX2320 tool. I made a set of solid wood ramps out of 6x6 with a 2x6 screwed onto the side. I cut a long incline of at least 16 inches to make it easy to drive up and attached a 4x4 at the opposite end to keep from driving off.

I did not trim the tabs on the skid plate as described in Antman's thread. I bent the outermost 1/4 inch to make it easy to reinstall the plate. If oil changes have been done by someone else, check the skid plate bolts for stretch, galling, cross-threading, etc. Chase threads using a tap and replace bolts if necessary. Use anti seize and do not over torque.

Use inexpensive and genuine Toyota oil filters. The end seals are molded and difficult to indent with a thumbnail, so I wondered how it might conform and seal. I put a clean filter on a surface plate and measured filter height at 4 locations with a caliper. All readings were within 0.0005 inches. I measured a used filter and all readings were within 0.0005 inches. Just for kicks, I went to an auto parts store with a hand calipers and performed the same measurements on 3 name brand filters. I would never use any of them because none of them matched or exceeded 0.0005 inches variation in height. One of them differed as much as 0.012 inches.

I recommend using genuine Toyota oil plug seals. I choose not buy what is advertised to be genuine seals on Amazon.

Use a torque wrench if you haven't "calibrated" your arm and hand by experience.

Last edited by DougR; 10-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.
DougR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote