View Single Post
Old 10-18-2019, 06:40 AM

CelticRunner is on a distinguished road

CelticRunner is on a distinguished road
Need a new battery... but which one?

I’ve started reading various threads about batteries but there are so many options it’s hard to know exactly where to start.

My 06 (197k miles) used to be my daily driver, but now it’s mostly used around town on the weekends and every afternoon for day care pick up

The problem is these short trips around town are probably hard on the old battery. Even worse is when I would sit and listen to the radio waiting for the bus to come. Wel, it finally happened and the battery died on me a couple days ago.

The current battery is a Toyota 84 mo battery, installed in way back in 2012, and it has lasted great. I’m hoping to get five more years out of this car as I’m not really in a financial position to buy a new one right now (did I mention kids in day care? Haha). I don’t do any off roading and live in MD so no desert/tundra extremes to worry about

Wondering what battery would be recommend. Something dependable. I don’t mind spending another couple dollars for quality since you get what you pay for, but I probably don’t need another 7 year battery.

(Looking for brand/model recommendations, but also specs. I’ve looked around the online auto parts stores and there is no way all 80 options are for my car)

OR- is it my new driving style that would kill any battery. Perhaps I need to start driving it one day a week on the highway.

Thanks!

———————————————
AAR:

Since my old 84mo Toyota battery was still under warranty (it’s only been five years) I decided to go back to them since it would only cost me about $100 for the new battery/part. Well, after getting there, I learned they won’t warranty it unless they install it (at a total cost of about $260 something). I guess there’s a reason they call it a stealership.

Ended up getting an everstart max 24f from Walmart- like someone points out in this thread, there is a Walmart everywhere if I ever have problems (I’ll just need to keep the receipt in my car).

Warning: (heads up)
Instal was easy, but afterwards, my automatic windows wouldn’t work (driver and rear tailgate). Despite initial concerns, I found it’s a common problem which is easily remedied. I just held the button in question all the day down (engaging the auto feature) until the window reached the bottom. Then did the same to bring the window up. I’m told you only have to do this once, by I did it twice out of caution.

More details here since it’s a common problem:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3378411-post3.html

Last edited by CelticRunner; 10-27-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: After action report
CelticRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote