View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 AM

AK Mule is on a distinguished road

AK Mule is on a distinguished road
Thank you

This is one of the most informed threads on tire pressure I have seen in a lot of years on any forum. I have applied some of the information here to other cars and trucks we have. Some of my thoughts:

1. Switching from "P" tires to "LT" tires is a significant difference in tire loads and capabilities. The door jam sticker is no longer relevant, even if you use the same size tire. If you change tire size or brand, more math and experimenting/guesswork is needed.

2. We changed out the 20 inch wheels and tires on our Limited for SR5 wheels and stock size tires, but kept "P" tires, so the door jam is still mostly relevant. Summer is "P" Bridestone and winter is "P" Blizzak. So, about 32 to 34 PSI. We have not changed to any "LT" tires...yet.

3. Here is the biggie: Regardless of the tire we use, temperature is very important along with load range. When I set my cold tires' pressure in my 60-degree garage at 32 for "P" or 44 for "LT", that is fine for now. Then I open my garage door and leave, and the temperature may be 50-70 degrees colder outside (I'm in Alaska). If I am driving in town, they stay very cold (or after work outside). If I get on the highway, they probably warm up some. Rule of thumb is lose 1 PSI for each 10 degrees of temperature. Take that into account when you set your tire pressure if Summer and Winter are very different. After being at work all day in winter, my 32 PSI is probably a lot lower when I hit the road.

I set my "P" tires for 32 PSI in the Summer and 38 PSI in the winter. If I had "LT" tires, I would set them around 40 PSI in Summer and 46 PSI in Winter.