Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 02:29 AM

OffKamber will become famous soon enough OffKamber will become famous soon enough

OffKamber will become famous soon enough OffKamber will become famous soon enough
4Runner Review after a month of ownership and offroading....

ON ROAD:
I am very happy with the 4Runner. After installing the King reservoir shocks, tires, and a few adjustments with alignment... my 4Runner drives smoother and is more comfortable than a GLE350 and a 7 series BMW. I compared it with a 2018 GLE350 and the GLE feels more like a body on frame truck than my 4Runner. The 7 series is more rough on the road than my 4Runner. With the 34's and supercharger I feel that I have more than enough acceleration... so I'm happy with the ride. Note that I run 33 PSI in my 34" tires... which gives me a better ride as well. I know that 33 PSI + the caster will probably cause faster wear... I'm OK with that.

OFFROAD:

I have a JK on 40's that I take to the hammers. The 4Runner was built to be my daily driver and a light offroader. However, my definition of light offroading is John Bull in Big Bear. I am a bit disappointed with the 4Runner for one sole reason: articulation. My 4Runner with KDSS on 34's with Kings is only 40-50% as capable as a stock Rubicon offroad. I expected closer to 75-80% to be honest.

The reason for this is mostly because we do not have solid front axles. It is what it is and I was OK with that... it makes shit more of a challenge. HOWEVER, I expected the KDSS system to be better based on reviews I've read on this forum. I can't complain about it onroad, but offroad it is very limited even after you warm it up.

I truly believe (and may be wrong) that the 4Runner is more capable without KDSS. I would think that I can get better offroad performance and similar onroad performance with a rear anti-rock and a front disconnecting sway bar.

For now I am OK with it... eventually I may figure out a way to cut it off and make a better setup. Only damn reason I got a premium was for KDSS so I am kicking myself for spending a few thousand dollars for something I may just chop off.
OffKamber is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote