Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
Thanks Tim. I was trying to understand if doing this was possible with the bearing still on the axle. I guess I didn't need to buy the bearing removal tool after all. It will probably come in handy at some point I guess.

After giving it more thought I think I'll replace the bearing since I'll have the tools. What's another $60 at this point.... The rig only has 148k miles so I think I'll be good if I only change the seals on the other side.

By the way; I see the original tool maker added a plate to make it easier to remove the ABS gear and bearing but also bumped the price up to $269.
The company I bought my original tool from was Durasolid. This looks to be another manufacturer with the same design. Maybe these companies are getting the tool from the same supplier and just putting their name on it. But, $260 is a huge ripoff compared to Duane's tool (Donald-the-bonald) that sells for only $170 and is much better built and is more functional. With Duane's tool, you don't need a bearing splitter and you don't need a press sleeve either. We actually suggested Duane make the driver tool with the built in sleeve because the tool originally was only meant to pull the parts off. He listened to our suggestion and made the driver tool because I told him I was reluctant to back a tool that doesn't also help you drive the parts back onto the axle. He was smart to work with us on the design because he's making lots more sales now that we have that video showcasing his tool. On top of it, Duane is a really cool guy so I'm glad we're helping him out instead of some company like Durasolid who never even once thanked us for plugging their product in our videos and generating tons of sales for them.