Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 09:08 PM

rob_dixon will become famous soon enough

rob_dixon will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskywalker View Post
EXACTLY.

To rent a 4runner is going to cost heaps more than any other vehicle in the fleet. People that afford them aren't going to drive them like some maniac that rents a Kia sport sedan.

ok a few things: And why I disagree. ANd why i would NEVER buy a rental.

1) With my own stuff I treat gently (almost baby it too much) but with rentals and such I always push them to their max in steering, acceleration, cornering, and "experimenting." Think i slow as much for a speed bump? Nope. Think I've caught air on a speed bump? Yep. (Granted I dont do that anymore, but point is made)

2) You are assuming people pay for them, and the more elite crowd gets them. Wrong. Many high end rentals are "paid" by companies and rented out/earned by status. (e.g. consultants who live on the road as I did/still do) For example, I can choose any vehicle on the lots of most car rental companies for years, totally free to me. Many of those like "me" were kids in their 20s. And i watched them all act out #1. Aaand when you arent paying for gas, lets just ay you arent as "gentle" on the pedal. ;-)

3) That's in general for all cars. Now, the 4runner: the 4x4 functionality in the 4runner has specific rules around the gears. For example, you should never run it in 4LO on cement. Or run it too fast in these gears on turns, as you can prematurely wear the differentials. (correct me if this is wrong and there are toyota safeguards here, but this is what i heard). And this assumes they read the manual on how to progress through them 4Hi 4LO. I assume almost no one reads this, as see #1 and #2.

I have driven rentals and been around people driving rentals for 16 years. (Case in point my OWN car is a 2001 and has only 70K miles on it.) That said, I would never buy a rental.

Last edited by rob_dixon; 10-26-2019 at 09:11 PM.
rob_dixon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote