Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 12:58 PM

Friedom is on a distinguished road

Friedom is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, thought I could chime in here as I just replaced bearings, seals and shoes on a 98. I really didn't want to buy a $150 tool to put in $50 parts, so I welded one up (which broke), then found this really really really easy solution. 4 36" 3/8 threaded rod, washers nuts and bolts and scrap steel. $15 or less in parts, pressed out both bearings. Hammer out the 4 studs, put the rods through the holes and a washer and nut on the outboard and inboard side. Then hang in the HF 20t press and off it comes! For reassembly I just used a pipe to fit over the axle and hammer in the bearing, retainer, abs ring and other retainer.
Super budget solution. Took me 2 weeks to figure it out all and get one side done. Other side took 3 hours, but I delayed it a little by forgetting the circlip.. don't forget to to the grease test to ensure the seal is sitting in the right spot - then WIPE OFF THE GREASE before final assembly as it actually caused the seal to let some axle fluid by.
I have a fun time lapse GIF of driving the new bearings on but I don't think that's supported here.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk