Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 02:51 AM

UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about

UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about
Well, started tonight by getting the hitch all dialed in. I decided to up the ante a little further even and only half recessed it into the top of the crossmember. It's not just tight to the hatch, it's almost rediculous. Not like I'm gonna be towing with the 4 cylinder runner out of everything though, so I'm going all out, no compromise. Pokes out just far enough to be usable with a clevis adapter. Departure angle maxed out.

Then I had my "A-ha!" moment that I really needed. I know exactly how to mount the main hoops to the crossmember. Started out by spacing a piece of plate up with a couple little pieces of 3x3. This plate will sit on top of my main hoop, another similar piece of plate will tie the bottom of the tube directly back to the hitch crossmember. Should be strong, fairly light and not kill any clearance at all.

Go to bolt it on, Oops the stops for the spare tire are right in the way, blast em off real quick. Remember, no compromise.

Got one side welded up and even had time to bust out the bender and start slinging tube. First off a 90 degree into 3/16 wall. Let me tell you this is not easy to bend. I'm all of 6 feet and 240 lbs and throw tires all day and it kills me just doing a couple bends by hand. This settles that I'm getting the hydraulic conversion. One bend made though.

I ran into what I knew I would, the tube at the bend sticks out a little far for my liking, there's no better way to do it and still protect the hatch , so I'll have to live with it. Should look OK all done though.

And at this point I've decided. A swing out tire carrier is happening. The weld wheels on the runner are sold and I've ordered up a new set of 5 wheels. The lack of a matching spare wheel (and a little tiny bit of my laziness) was all that was keeping me from going with a swing out setup. If I ever want to get welds back on the runner finding 5 matching will suck, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Mocked up and 2x3 should work perfectly. Steel run tomorrow even though I don't need it just yet. I might go. 1/8 wall tube on the less structural upper hoops and braces though, just to save weight and my back.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk

The "shitmobile" 500$ 3RZ Auto 4Runner - (Saved from the Scrapyard: Resurrecting a 500$ 3rd Gen

02 Tacoma Double Cab, mid-travel, locked, armored, supercharged and riced. (Longbed and 5 speed in the works)
UnderFire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote