View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM

4thGen4.7 is on a distinguished road

4thGen4.7 is on a distinguished road
04 4.7L V8 Misfiring on ALL cylinders after starter replacement

Hey everyone - My 04 4.7L v8 is having misfire on all cylinders, codes P300-P308. When I start it up, it will run for a few seconds until it dies. I was able to eventually start it up enough to where it would idle until I turned the key off. The idle is really, really rough though. No response to throttle (kills it), but when it revs up to 2k on start, it sounds perfect, it just gets rough when it comes back down to ~500-1k RPMs.

So, this started happening when I replaced the starter. I installed new gaskets for the lower manifold (didn't remove upper) - originally didn't swap injector o-rings and grommets, but when I ripped it apart to do it again after having issues, I used all new rubber.

One thing that did happen after I could get it to run for a bit was tons of smoke coming from passenger side cat, which has an O2 sensor I replaced about a year ago that hasn't given me any problems. It seems to have all burnt off though because there is no more smoke.

I built a DIY smoke machine and tested for vacuum leaks from the intake duct after the MAF, didn't see any leaks but there is a chance I couldn't get enough smoke past the throttle body flange, i'll be testing that again.

I cleaned MAF and throttle body.

I replaced all spark plugs. Nothing too bad with the old ones other than one with a lot of oil on it (I have leaky valve cover gaskets, going to swap those this weekend too)

I have a fuel pressure gauge but I either 1. don't know what tf I'm doing or 2. it is faulty, because I'm getting 0 pressure from the inline, despite hearing the pump come on and getting some fuel delivery. I want to spend more time on this this weekend.

One thing that could be cause for concern, because I lubed up the injector o rings and grommets, I have injectors that are easy to rotate in their spots, but no leaky injectors. How tight are these fuel rails supposed to be? No torque spec in Chilton manual.

I have noticed that when I crack open a banjo bolt on the crossover, or when I swapped the fuel pressure regulator that, even though fuel comes out, it doesn't seem to be as pressurized as it could be, given the volume that comes out.

I replaced PVC and PVC hose.

I'm really leaning towards it being a fuel delivery problem, but what are the chances that I could have dead fuel parts right when I fix a starter?

THANKS IN ADVANCE