Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 04:25 PM

awerking is on a distinguished road

awerking is on a distinguished road
New T4R owner - impressions after 2 weeks

So I've have the 4 Runner for just over 2 weeks now - IMO enough time to get a good initial feel for it. This is my 4th Toyota 4x4, and my first 4 Runner. Prior to the 4 Runner, I've owned, in this order:

1) 1985 Toyota Regular Cap 4x4 pickup (22R 5-speed); 1990-2001
2) 2003 Tacoma Xtra Cab TRD (6cyl. 5-speed); 2003 - 2005
3) 1978 FJ40 Landcruiser (6cyl. 4-speed); 2004 - 2011

Given my history with Toyota 4x4s, I purchased my 4 Runner with much anticipation and high expectations. For the most part I'm very pleased with it, and am looking forward to many years of fun to come. Here are my impressions thus far.

1) It looks awesome. I mean, seriously awesome. Best looking Toyota 4x4 I've every owned by far. The black metallic with the pro grill, blacked out badging and wheels sitting on top of those Nitto meats its killer. I blacked out the front windows to match the back and it looks even better. People check it out all the time.
2) It rides great. Way better than either of my trucks and way better than my FJ40. I think Toyota struck a great balance here - I can comfortably take my family on a road trip without anyone complaining, and still have a capable offroad rig when I want it.
3) The stereo pumps.
4) Fit and finish is pretty good - best in any Toyota I've every had - and way better than any Big 3 auto I've been in recently sans the upper trim levels of the Grand Cherokee.
5) Ergonomics of the driver's seat and cockpit are good. I like the window controls on the window sill - this is where I keep my arm most of the time so this works great for me. Also reminds me of a Land Rover which is cool IMO. The seat is comfortable and the seat adjustments are well thought out.
6) Lack of full adjustability of the front passenger seat is disappointing.
7) XM radio interface is dumb. Best I can tell there's no way to get the preset channel list to display the station name rather than the number. So unless you memorize all of the numbers, you're left flipping around until you find the station you're looking for.
8) Navigation interface is even dumber. It won't let you type in or modify a destination address while moving. If my passenger wants to type something in there while I'm driving the system should let them. This sucks big time. It also is the lease intuitive navigation systems I've ever used. It's almost like Toyota engineers went out of their way to make it as big a pain in the ass to use as possible. Pure UI buffoonery! On the upside, the chick that says the directions sounds kindof sexy.
9) The bright white OEM "fog lights" are dumb. Couldn't be any more ineffective. I covered them with yellow Lamin-x - we'll see how they work next time it's foggy. Already thinking I should have gotten amber films instead of yellow. More to come on that.
10) The hood glare when the sun is positioned high in the sky and behind your direction of travel is brutal. I like the way the hood scoop looks, but what the hell Toyota? This is blinding! Thinking about wrapping the hood (or at least the scoop) in satin or flat black to combat this. I've see some threads on here showing hood wraps - wondering if anyone has just done the rear of the scoop.
11) At first I felt like the 4 Runner lacked adequate power, but I've adjusted my driving style and it seems ok now. Considering a pedal commander or similar but still undecided on this for now.
12) Gas mileage is better than expected. 22.5mpg on the first tank in mixed driving. Taking a road trip this coming weekend so will get a good feel for highway mileage then. So far this has exceeded my expectations.
13) Will be trying the offload features this weekend in the Virginia mountains. More to come on this.
14) The slide out rear cargo tray thing is dumb. I didn't want it but had to get it if I wanted a sunroof. Dumb dumb dumb. I want to put a good cargo liner in the back (i.e. WeatherTech or Husky) but can't find a way to get full protection with that dumb thing in there. Oh yea, did I say it was dumb? It's dumb.
15) Lack of real skid plates on an "Off Road" model is dumb. Will be my first upgrade.
16) Optional OEM crossbars are flimsy pieces of crap so I opted not to get them. Toyota should offer cross bars that are sturdy enough not to flex offload with a reasonable load like a Thule box on top. And the rack on the Pro is not for me - there needs to be a middle of the road here.
17) Best I can tell, the interior footwell LED lights can't be turned off while the headlights are on. This is annoying. I should be able to turn them off.

I'd be interested in hearing other's perspectives on any of the above. All in all I'm really happy with the 4 Runner so far.
Cali Raised sliders, Warn Hybrid bumper, Smittybilt X20 winch, Bilstein 6100/5160, Bilstein 650# front springs, Toytech Superflex HD rear springs, Cali Raised rack, Cali Raised 42" two row spotlight, Prinsu ladder, Prinsu MaxTraxx mounting brackets, Roam Awning
awerking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote