Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 01:33 AM

KP Texan has a spectacular aura about KP Texan has a spectacular aura about

KP Texan has a spectacular aura about KP Texan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post
[Please don't get on me for yet another tire post. Yeah, I've already read all the relevant and recent posts on this site and others... and weeded thru a TON of outdated posts etc.]

Still, I find myself more confused than before.

I'm looking for tires for my '14 Limited I bought new. Geolandar 96s got me to 47K but are done. I am keeping the stock rims and I want the 245s. Summarizing it all, it seems like more people have had the overall best experience with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus is probably second. Both happen to be at the top of the price list but oh well... that's OK.

I want all-seasons that will be decent in Chicago snows and rainy Springs. I also want to stick with the 700+ UTQG rated tire if possible.

Today I went to talk to a local 40-years-in-biz tire guy who came recommended. He actually doesn't sell tires but makes a living installing tires bought online so he has no real skin in the game that way, which gives him more credibility. Anyways he basically trashed both those tires. His claim is that the squared shoulder of the Michelin will cause noise and cupping. Never was 100% clear about his beef with the Bridgestone.

He highly recommends the Cooper Discoverer SRX, which from what I read quite a few people complain of terrible road noise. THat'd be a deal-killer to me.

I've decided to buy from a guy down into the city where I've bought several times before as his prices are unbeatable and his service great. However thanks to YELP he is so busy now that he almost never can come to the phone, meaning to ask him questions I have to probably drive down there.

So where's all this going?

I'm actually not looking for recommendations, but rather a sanity check. Do I trust my research, or do I throw my faith in this guy I just met today? He did say a few other things about the 4R which made me think he doesn't know the truck that well (or maybe it's me?).

Still it's kind of hard to dismiss him, so yeah... I'd love to hear some reassurance that I am on the right track with those two choices. Maybe he's simply biased?

And, I guess if you have recent personal experience with either the Alenza Plus of the Defender LTX M/S I'd like to hear it. They seem like 2 very different tires despite similar numbers overall.

Any opinions or experience is appreciated, thanks.
I’d trust the experiences of many 4Runner owners over the word of a single tire guy. Not saying he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, but my Michelin Defender LTX M/S have been awesome tires and are my favorite out of the three sets I’ve had (OEM were Yokohama, next were Michelin Premier, and now the Defenders). They are incredibly quiet, traction is great, and they are wearing beautifully. I really couldn’t ask for much else from them. You’ll also find that they have a fairly good reputation for light off road use too!

That being said, the Discoverer SRX may be a perfectly good tire, but I have no experience with them.
KP Texan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote