Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 PM

Jan777 is on a distinguished road

Jan777 is on a distinguished road
similar situation, for now all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz195688 View Post
Did you get this resolved or fixed? I had the same problem towards the end of Oct with a 2006 Tundra with the 4.7 VVTI motor. Driving from California to Northern Virginia. We were traveling at about 70 mph on the freeway when a check engine light came on. We looked for a wide spot to pull over and probably travelled 5 to 10 miles more before pulling over. During this time, the engine got a little louder and was missing. After we pulled over, I found that the #3 cylinder had blew the spark plug and burnt the coil. We had it towed to an oreilly's auto parts store and spent a few hours at night trying to fit it. Fortunately, in the morning the manager was able to locate a spark plug rethreader tool and inserts which I used to fix the cylinder. I also replaced all the other plugs and found they were all loose. I had purchased the truck In April 2019 and had done the timing belt/waterpump and all the ancillary belts, tensioner, fan clutch, fan bracket, radiator and such but did not check the spark plugs because the truck was running great. We had used it to drive to the Arctic Ocean/Alaska and home to Virginia in June/July without any problems.

After my parking lot repair, I was able to drive 1400 miles to home The truck ran great and I thought that I would not have any more issues. After about a week I noticed a metallic noise coming form the driver side of the engine. It sounded like a bad lifter or bearing. Long story short, having the engine replaced with another 2006 engine with 130k to replace my current engine with 275k.

Check your spark plugs and make sure their torqued or snug depending on how you do them. OP hopefully your engine does not have any other issues. Please update us with your fix. Good luck.

Oh, sorry to hear that your engine was toast!
As to my engine the fix seems to work. We put an insert in and checked all 8 spark plugs. 5 were loose, although not much. The engine runs fine, so far no metal in the oil and smooth operation of the engine.

Right now I am replacing the chain inside the transfer case. Second time already. Not exactly constructed by a genius.... I will never understand why TOYOTA went from the indestructible manual HIGH/LOW gear to this crap idea of switching gears with an electric motor. What a stupid idea! Looks like someone intentionally constructed a weak element!
Jan777 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote