ArcticEd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremluck View Post
Instructions on How to Remove/Install an Inner Tie Rod on a 5th gen 4runner

1. Remove wheel
2. Loosen the jam nut on the outer tie rod end
3. Remove the cotter pin and castle nut
4. Separate the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle
5. Back off and remove the outer tie rod end (Counting how many turns for reinstallation later)
6. Remove the clamps and boot for the inner tie rod
7. Turn your steering wheel all the way out to make the inner tie rod end more accessible
8. Using an adjustable plumbing wrench loosen and remove the inner tie rod (May require additional leverage)
9. Install the new inner tie rod using blue loctite on threads (Torque to factory spec)
10. Reinstall the tie rod boot using a zip tie to secure the boot to the steering rack and the original clamp for the outer portion
11. Reinstall the jam nut
12. Reinstall the outer tie rod end (Counting the turns you documented in step 5)
13. Reinstall the outer tie rod end castle nut (Torque to factory spec)
14. Install a NEW cotter pin on the castle nut
15. Tighten the outer tie rod end jam nut

My Original Post Below

Question: So I need to replace my driver side inner tie rod because of some play. Already ordered the OEM part but need to know what size wrench I need to use for the power steering rack to remove and reinstall the inner tie rod. I know you can use an adjustable pipe wrench for the inner tie rod end but you need a wrench on the steering rack side to prevent the torque being transmitted to the rack. Hoping folks on here have done it before. Any ideas?

Answer: You can't use a 1-1/16" wrench on the steering rack side. It's too small. Not sure what size you can use I just torqued the inner tie rod end on and off. No issues.
I'm about to replace both inner & outer tie rods on both sides & came across this looking for tips/tricks.

The steering linkage reassembly page in the service manual (Doc ID: RM0000039T100IX) says to "Fill up the ball joints of the steering rack ends with MP grease", and I don't see that step listed above.

Does anyone know if you have to apply grease to the inner tie rod ends and what type of grease is required?

TIA
2010 Mag Gray LE; Overland Warehouse 2.5" kit; LR UCA's; hard-wired radar detector; 17x8.5 MB Torque Wheels; 285/70/17 Duratracs (all 5); Bud-Built Bump-out Sliders 1/3 plating; WeatherTech Digiliners
ArcticEd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote