Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 05:20 AM

henlybenderson is on a distinguished road

henlybenderson is on a distinguished road
I really like the look of the Satoshi Grill mod so I'm working on one of my own... Fortunately the grill from my previous 97 4r survived the accident mostly intact so I didn't have to buy one to start.

I started by peeling all the chrome off the plastic. I used some small flat blade pliers and a razor blade to help pry it off the plastic. Once I had peeled the chrome covering off I cut out the middle pieces and started filling in the gaps that were left since I'm doing the deep mod.

Using masking tape to keep the filler dammed up makes a big difference, it doesn't adhere to the adhesive so it works well to keep stuff where its supposed to be.

I used JB Weld plastic bonder it works pretty well and the kick off time is about right for working in to the gaps and cracks. I had to fix some cracks from the accident as well as fill in the gaps from cutting out the middle pieces. I went overboard on filling stuff in, mix less than you think you need and just fill in stages, its a pain to sand it down!

Found a new emblem on Ebay for an old FJ:

Lots of sanding, and then some priming, and then more sanding to come.... I'm planning on using the same graphite paint I'm going to use for the wheels.

Last edited by henlybenderson; 11-24-2019 at 02:06 AM.
henlybenderson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote