Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 02:41 PM

Superhero is on a distinguished road

Superhero is on a distinguished road
This is my first lift ever so now that I've gained a bit of knowledge I'm kinda rethinking my whole setup. Might pass on any armor and put all my money into the lift and TLC. I have kept up with oil for the most part but a lot of other things I have been less diligent about.

Looking at a Bilstein 6112/5160 set up now. This kit doesn't come with rear springs though - what would be recommended? Or would I be better off buying the shocks and springs separately?

I'm deciding between UCAs as well. SPC, Camburg and Light Racing seem to be the most common recommendations. What's the difference between them other than hundreds of dollars?

If I put off armor now, and want to add it later, will I have to swap out my shocks and coils to handle the added weight? The reason I originally wanted to do that and the suspension at the same time is so I wouldn't have to redo the lift again later when I get bumpers etc. I don't want to have to buy my lift twice...

I don't plan on going larger than 285s, MAYBE 305s this summer when my 265 Duratracs wear out. Do I need a body lift? Does a body lift serve any other purpose? 285s, 305s are about the max the stock open diffs can handle right? I eventually plan to regear and lock the rear end but that is probably a year or two away due to the cost... would that change the max tires size? Reliability is more important to me than anything else.

Also, as far as TLC goes, I am going to invest in a ton of preventative maintenance - what should I go ahead and replace? I have 180k miles on my 2007 V8 4x4 and I want to make sure anything that is likely to go out in the next 30k-40k miles I go ahead and take care of now. So far I'm planning:

New front axles from CVJ (I drive right by their shop on my way to work most mornings)
New (rebuilt??) OEM front hubs
New front axle seal thingies
New OEM LCAs
Transfer Case Drop Kit - is this needed for the center Torsen diff on the 4x4 V8s?
Extended stainless steel brake lines
All fluids (still very nervous about tackling the transmission...)
Timing belt only has about 65k miles on it so think I'll leave it unless some pulley bearings or something need replacement and I have to pull it anyway
Air/cabin air/fuel filters
New bushings all around
V Belt
Spark Plugs

I have a new AutoZone alternator already installed and a brand new set of the best brakes and rotors Brakes Plus installs, so should be good to go there for a bit.

With all this work I might need to take a few days off of my job to make sure I can get everything done, either that or pay someone else to do it. lol It's cold and I don't think I have enough room in my garage anyway.

Anyone in the Denver area have experience with this kinda thing and wanna help out?

Last edited by Superhero; 11-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Superhero is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote