Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM

cdg11343 is on a distinguished road

cdg11343 is on a distinguished road
grease for inner CV joint

Hello, my brother and I just added a 3" lift to my 98 4runner. After I took it out the first time after the lift, I checked it over to make sure everything was where it should be, nothing loose, etc.

I found white/yellow grease spattered from the inner side of the right CV joint boot. The boot itself appears to be undamaged.

With some research I found this is a common problem. Lift the 4runner, your CV boot leaks and then spatters.

So I ordered some Dorman CV Boot Grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-614-06.../dp/B00IWS01Z6

Much to my surprise, it's black.

My brother said he thought he heard it's white grease on inner CV, black grease on outer CV.

Some quick research showed that there can indeed be different grease for inner vs outer.

When I slid the boot down, there appears to be quite a bit of grease in there still. Clearly some spattered out, but there seems to be quite a bit left.

All that said, think I should:

a) Mix the Dorman CV grease with what's in there to "top it up"
b) Find some "inner CV joint" grease
c) Leave it alone
d) Something else entirely

And in all cases, replace the clamp with something more sturdy (I already have).

Advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.

p.s. I don't know the history of the vehicle. I'm the 4th owner, and have had it for a few months. Based on what we've found so far with the vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the original CV everything (boot/grease/joint).

Last edited by cdg11343; 12-02-2019 at 08:51 PM.
cdg11343 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote