Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 PM

ThatAllDriver is on a distinguished road

ThatAllDriver is on a distinguished road
Talking Bilsteins/xreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbo View Post
In my humble opinion I absolutely think it was worth it...

The moment you move into a 2.5" diamater shock body you end up with something that feels... different.

I've rode on 5100s before, and its nice, but more of a street-centric feel. Its kind of hard to explain but things like small city dips and bumps that you still felt with a 5100 pretty much disappeared with the 6112. Off-road it just felt more controlled, damped, without any of that chatter/shock/jarring on something like a fireroad.

I know a lot of people say if you dont off-road a lot you dont need bigger shocks, but after trying it myself I came to the conclusion larger body has more fluid, larger valving, and moves more fluid to do the same work as a smaller shock and it allows the shock to just feel nicer, literally in all driving situations.

The 6112 is probably one of the best upgrades I have done... and IMO it was still somewhat budget minded considering what it cost to buy a 2.5" diameter shock from someone else like ICON, King, or Fox. I just cant afford to go there yet, but I think the 6112 was a really solid middle ground.

I also went a bit budget on the rears with the 5100s and at times I think the rears are lacking when off-road, at least when you compare it to the fronts... if I could do it over again I feel like I should have went with at least the 5160 rear but I dont know if thats even going to satisfy my wants after trying something bigger. When the time comes, ill get something bigger.

That said, the city/freeaway/on-road drive is pretty nice. Its still good enough that I haven't ripped them off yet.

I had some additional details, pictures, and comments I posted in a different thread here.
Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum - View Single Post - Bilstein 6112's Installed!
I am interested to know what you went with on the rears. I have a 2008 V8 Limited with 90000 miles that I bought back in March. It has the xreas system, but not much documentation has been done besides a service on the system at 54000 miles. I am looking at going the 6112/5160 route. I will be doing a lot of highway driving with some, but minimal (10%) off-roading. I am wondering if I should keep the system for now, as it seems ok, if the upgrade will make the highway driving more uncomfortable, or maybe even the opposite. I also was considering Icons as you said.
ThatAllDriver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote