Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 05:36 PM

chris.817 is on a distinguished road

chris.817 is on a distinguished road
Rear Axle Seal failure

Hi folks,

I know this is a worn out subject, but I'm fixing this issue now for the fourth time.

I'm the original owner with 225k miles. My driver's side seal failed the first time at about 175k miles. I replaced everything including the bearing. It failed again at about 200k miles. I figured I put the seal in poorly so just replaced the seal the second time.

A bit later, the vehicle was in an accident and was pulled out of a ditch by tow truck with driver side wheel. I didn't know this until the damage was fixed and I realized the wheel was visibly bent. Replaced wheel. Within months the seal was leaking again. I figured the bent wheel/tow truck messed up the bearing so I replaced the entire setup again. Bearing , seal, o-ring, ABS wheel etc.

Now, 12 months later it's leaking again. I decide the shaft must be bent so I ordered a shaft. Reading today I realize maybe it's the damn vent that's bad and I'm building up pressure (thank you t4r forum). I removed the vent and sure enough I got what sounded like air pressure release when it finally came off. I can, however, blow into it and it seems to work with a good amount of pressure against it?

So... how much pressure should it take to actuate the thing? It's 20 years old and could not be too expensive. Just replace it? Anyone think that's my culprit? I have to assume that my seal is bad regardless and replace it but sure would be an easier job to not replace the axle, bearing, etc.

And in all this time, passenger side still dry a a bone...

Thoughts?

Thanks
Chris
chris.817 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote