Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM

snydmax will become famous soon enough

snydmax will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
I don't have time to watch the video right now, but if he said you have to open the bleeders or remove the wheel speed sensors he's wrong.

Edit:
1) The hottest part of your brake system is the rotor/pads not the caliper.
2) Unless you are racing your car in some form, towing more than you should be, or have a seized caliper your brake fluid won't come close to boiling.
3) The brake system is a sealed system so there's no way for gunk/debris/whatever to enter the brake fluid through the caliper. Most caliper's on vehicles still in use today are aluminum so there's no way for it to rust either.
4) You should be flushing your brake fluid every 5 years because brake fluid is hygroscopic (it attracts water which can get in through moisture in the air that the master cylinder cap vent allows in/out as necessary) and water in your brake fluid will decrease your brake performance.
5) I'm a mechanic at a GM dealership. I've worked at several and have never seen anyone crack the bleeders when compressing the caliper piston. I'm ASE certified in brakes as well.
Fordtechmakaluko's main points:

1. Fluid recevoir in caliper hold fluid that doesn't circulate
2. It gets hot (not boiling) and is constantly heat cycling.
3. Risk is to ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (not wheel sensors) if you manage to push the "contaminated" brake fluid up into that system
4. Opening the bleeder expels this fluid instead of pushing it up back into the brake lines
5. Using a brake bleeder further allows you to remove the fluid in the caliper reservoir replacing it with clean fluid from the master cylinder... short of performing a full flush.

Do what you want, I'll continue to take this extra preventative step on my vehicles.

Sorry OP for hyjacking your thread! Hope you find out what's up without too much $$ and trouble