Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 10:12 PM

deanx2009 is on a distinguished road

deanx2009 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesooohoppy View Post
i have said it in the tundra upgrade thread, but i seriously suspect users who have issues with the pedal feel post swap either starved the ABS pump or just didnt bleed it well enough (or a combo of the two). mostly being the ABS pump.

i came from the lexus IS world before i bought my 4runner and it was the same case for everyone doing BBKs. they would bleed the sides and starve the abs pump. once you do this its easier to just take to a dealer and let them properly bleed it as most didnt have the vacuum tool to do it.

OP, you can bleed the traditional way and spend your entire life savings on DOT fluid and it wont change a thing because you may have air in the ABS pump. did you by chance try to bleed that? at any point did you starve it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
After putting in a totally braking system on my frame swap project and running 3 jugs of brand new brake fluid thru the entire sytem and having the tundra brakes my pedal is nice and firm.

I'm going to run a couple of jugs thru my other truck next spring. It took that much to get the entire system filled back up.

I think people have 20 year old brake fluid in their system and it's what's causing some of the issues. I don't think it's one big thing but a combination of air and old fluid.

this is my latest theory.

Very possible. I definitely bled it enough. I've bled brakes on Toyotas, BMWs, gmcs and motorcycles, never had an issue with incorrect brake bleeding.

The abs pump could have gotten air in it from being open to the elements for so long. Il have to check the manual for the abs bleed procedure. It's pretty much the high point In the system correct? It would make sense if air trapped there is causing the issue.

In other news, found some clips that almost were a perfect fit at Ace hardware for the mounting of the rear flares. The flare clip tab was just too thick for the clips, causing the retaining portion to break when I pushed them into place. I used a screw driver and removed the middle portion of the retaining clip and I was able to get a pretty good fit. I added some gorilla glue construction adhesive to give the clips a little more strength against vibration and pressure.

I then made a template from cardboard by punching holes through where the holes were on the other 4runner. After that, marked the truck up. I used red locktite on the tip of the clips to make sure the positioning of the holes matched with the template. All was good and I drilled 4 pilot holes for the larger 5/16th bit. Once the holes were drilled, I cleaned it up and added rtv to the clips to weather seal the holes and keep it from rusting too easily.

Took about 2 hours. To do that...while I was doing it I decided to remove the running boards and paint the points that were welded for the trans mount.

Spent the rest of the day cleaning the garage up. Got it looking pretty good minus the engine and crane...gotta get rid of that. Purple power on the floor and a quick rinse with a squeegee and most of the oil and dirt lifted up.
Attached Images
Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_135559411_hdr_compress16-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_135613618_hdr_compress58-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_135602436_hdr_compress23-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_141249528_hdr_compress99-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_145708028_compress57-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img_20191214_145658362_compress94-jpg  Complete 2000 4wd, manual, v6 swap into 2wd auto 1999 build/project-img-20191214-wa0002_compress6-jpg 
deanx2009 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote