Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 04:06 PM

Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light

Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light Joelzy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
I find your statement interesting. I know the heads can sometimes crack and need to be replaced but you make it sound like if a head gasket goes, you should be ready to get the heads resurfaced and possibly pull the whole engine out to even do some resurfacing of the block. Is this something unique to this engine. I owned a Subaru that had a blown head gasket, pretty common with those engines, and it was just a case of replacing the gasket.

What tools did you use to determine the block and heads needed resurfacing. I saw one video where a guy just used a straight edge to see if the block surfaces were true so I'm curious if you used the same technique or something different.
when i say "based on my experience", i mean just that. I'm fairly new to these but it seems like more often than not the examples of bad gaskets equal more than just swapping it out. I definitely came into it thinking i could just swap the gaskets but quickly fell into a much deeper pit.

I straight edged mine once torn down and it was barely noticeable but the cylinder ring on the gasket had blown into the cylinder.(I bought the truck after this had happened so i have zero knowledge of what it went through when this happened but the kid was an idiot and i imagine he overheated it.) wasnt a giant concern as the machine shop was going to do a valve job regardless and would check them before proceeding.

I had planned on the machine shop just dipping everything, honing the cylinders(turned into boring) and doing 2 valve jobs but they quickly informed me that the heads wouldnt be true as is.
i could:
1. deck these heads and block or
2. deck the block and clean up the sludge filled JDM swap heads. They thought the original heads were the right bet after seeing the amount of sludge in the other heads.
(they also noted that they were very used to decking 5VZ heads with all of the early HG failures)

Now i think early detection is probably a different story and i very well may be a minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexassian View Post
Am I crazy to think I could do an engine swap in a weekend with help and the right tools?
not crazy, definitely doable just plan for hiccups and parts runs

Last edited by Joelzy; 12-17-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Joelzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote