Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 02:20 PM

nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice

nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice nb rob is just really nice
I know external bypass shocks can make a clicking sound during operation, but that the nature of them. I didn't think internal bypass shocks made as much, if any, noise.

I'd like to hear this sound you guys are hearing.

here's a pretty good video that shows how these TRD pro fox internal-bypass shocks work.
YouTube

I had a clunking sound for years in the cold (I don't have TRD pro shocks, but I did spend a LOT of time chasing the noise down on my setup), and it turned out that there was some slop in the lower mounting bracket. It would get louder in the cold because the aluminum misalignment spacers would contract at a slightly different rate than the steel standoff for the lower rear shock. I found this by having a friend rock the truck by standing on the sliders and jumping up and down hard while I searched around under the truck. Once I found the source, I could put my hand on the shock and make the noise disappear. I finally added a very thin spacer, and it's been silent ever since. I actually found the perfect washer at the local home depot, after a long search online. It's called a 3/4" shim washer, and it fits over the mounting post of the shock perfectly.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/pau...her/1000128967

I know the TRD pro fox's use rubber bushings at the lower mounts, but do they have a metal sleeve through the bushing? Is it possible for this to be rattling? The lower shock bolts don't work like you might think-- the bolt bottoms out inside a sleeve, and the gap for the bottom bearing or bushing is a fixed depth. If the lower mounting misalignment spacers are even slightly narrower than this, it will rattle, especially in the cold. I've got to say-- it was a VERY difficult sound for me to chase down. I did everything including rebuilding the shocks to try to get rid of that noise.... and the final solution wound up costing $0.88

Good luck guys! I hope you get this figured out soon. I used to HATE cold weather suspension noises.
King coilovers and shocks w/ compression adjust ● Dirtking UCAs ● Icon 2" rear springs
nb rob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote