Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-21-2019, 05:18 PM

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold

MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold MAST4R is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Jarred View Post
Subarus do well where most don't think they will. I had a 2012 WRX on summer tires and drove around in 30 inches of fresh snow and was kinda shocked I didn't get stuck. I live in long Island where they don't plow unless it's a weekday for the most part so it was chaos for everyone else!

I'll definitely look into the Michelin Defenders and I appreciate the response. Are you on stock wheels? I was thinking about painting or powder coating the stock wheels, but it's going to cost me $600 on the low end so I'd rather just put that towards new wheels.
The TB is my wife's car. We had a B9 before it. I had an H6 Outback with a 2" lift at one point and a 95 Legacy wagon before it. My H6 OB saw more trails than most Offroad Edition 4R on this site ever will lol.

Yeah, stock wheels. All my upgrades are strictly functional. I will confess that I have looked into wheels for a second set of tires. I had two sets for the OB. But I don't want two sets again so unless I decide I really want a set of MTs, I will stick with a single set.

Stiffening the suspension and using a 1" lift with 3/16 steel armor all underneath is more than enough for all difficult trails I care to drive all the while street manners are WAY ahead of stock. I use stock size tires, too, and if I move to a full 32 it will be due to the specific choices in 255 75 17 than to the size per se. The suspension works so well, I don't feel any need to compensate for a 1" lift via wider track. Nor do I feel I am limited in any way offfroad until we start comparing vs people running 34" tires and full aftermarket bumpers. But offroading a Subaru was a great school.

With the suspension upgrade, I no longer miss the H6 Outback on dirt roads BUT there is no question about its performance on road in mountains vs the 4Runner. This is another reason I stick to stock size and relatively light weight tires. I don't want to know how a 4R with 57lb tires feels in CO nor do I care to re-gear or go the full trail rig route.

For wheels, this site ran crazy discounts last Aug-Sep:
Buy Auto Parts & Custom Car Community | Wheelwell

Lots of people bought so it seems legit. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Methods at 50% off!
(6112s/650lb at 2.25" lift, 8100 rear with Bilstein B12 1.5" springs, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 LTE 265 70 17, RCI set of front 3/16 skids, Shrockworks step sliders and 3/16 steel gas tank skid, C4Fab rear diff skid, Rockmen rear LCAs, Total Chaos rear LCA bracket skids, Diode Dynamics SS3 white fog lights).
MAST4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote