View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute
Elite Member

brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
in my previous life I was a wood working guy.

I have a lot of experience with BLO ( aka boiled linseed oil ) all modern BLO includes drier agents.

it's an oxidizing oil meaning it does cure just like any of the poly resins. it will start on fire. it's easy to do it, just soak a rag down and ball it up really really tight and put in a place like a fire pit?

there is a lot of confusing info out there on BLO but it's an old time finish and for exterior surfaces it's actually worse than putting nothing on at all. it's a terrible exterior finish. it's far too brittle and once cured cracks easily and traps moisture readily. It also encourages mold and mildew growth. it also lets moisture thru the cured surface film very easily.

the only reason I would put it on anything outside would be to accelerate the deterioration process.

to each their own but IMO it's not even a choice.

exterior surface finishes should remain flexible enough to expand and contract with the temps. if their was a magic old time finish that was cheap and easy we would still be using it.
Good to know...:] I am leaning more with the cosmoline in the wheel well anyhow as its gets more solid and cant wash off.

Fluid film does good but in heavy washable areas it wont sray

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Sparks Plugs Wire and Coil Information: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...on-5vz-fe.html
brillo_76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote