View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 04:20 AM

Road Bull is a jewel in the rough Road Bull is a jewel in the rough Road Bull is a jewel in the rough

Road Bull is a jewel in the rough Road Bull is a jewel in the rough Road Bull is a jewel in the rough
Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.

So... Thanksgiving weekend I totalled my 4runner.

Road Bull's 2002 SR-5 timeline.

I got my insurance claim rolling a few hours after the rollover. I called State Farm and let em know the bad news as I was waiting for AAA to come and flatbed my 4runner back to my house. I have to say, overall, I am satisfied with the outcome.

I got back home, tarped up my broken 4runner after downloading all my gear inside. I knew that I wanted to keep the vehicle in MY possession. Once you let them tow it away to a yard... Things go missing.

I started itemizing all the items from my build and had roughly 30 mods, along with the price and dates of purchase. I requested an adjuster to come to my house to assess the damage. I expressed that I intended to keep the vehicle. They agreed and sent an adjuster to me.

The adjuster noted the damage to the A,B,C,&D pillars, as well both doors, front fender, hood, dash, windshield, rear cargo window, roof, rear hatch, & rear quarter panel. My brand new Sherpa Matterhorn roof rack was toast. : ( Tis but a flesh wound! Hey! She started first try, and got me ten more miles down the mountain. He said that it was totaled.

State Farm called and put me on a 3-way call with a third-party assessor. I had told them that I had a build page that clearly documented everything I did to the vehicle, and when I did it. It also illustrated that the vehicle was not trashed before it rolled over. I feel this helped my case a lot.

The assessor stopped my about 19 items into my 30 mod items. She was very polite and asked the State Farm representative if they could move my assignment over to the one-ton commercial assessment side of things, as well as to expand the search to a regional search for "like" vehicles. The State Farm representative agreed and they said that they would get back to me.

My insurance policy put me into a rental covering 80% of the rental till they finished their assessment.

After week 3, I called them because I hadn't heard anything. They were surprised that I was still in the rental. The representative said that they had the initial figures. I asked if that included the build page items that I listed. He said they did not. I pointed out that without that, the total it would only give me a partial picture of what I was getting back and it would be very difficult to find a replacement vehicle. He said that he would call the third-party assessor to see if they had a number. He called a short time later and said that payout would be about $15,200 with about a $1200 buy back. This meant I could keep the vehicle and have $14,000 to get things sorted.

I really had no idea what number they would come up with. I think that me having home owners insurance and car insurance with them helped. I was almost expecting a long uphill fight to get some value out if the vehicle. I figured this was a fair number and was not upset at all.

Throughout all my conversations with my insurance, I was calm and respectful and tried to convey that this was more than a car to me. I told them it meant a lot and I took care of it. I directed them to the build page for reference. Now... I am not sure if, or by how much my rates may go up, as they do consider my accident on the ice a "collision". But I guess time will tell.

*Part Two / Moving On*

Finding a replacement during the busy holiday season has been a righteous pain in the ass. I want my old build to live on through the new vehicle. I believe most of the major parts are fine. Well, except the Sherpa roof rack. (I think it kept me from rolling all the way over and kept the oil from pooling in the cylinders enough to be able to drive it down the mountain).

I have seen a few vehicles that got me excited, only to find that they were hiding rust, or painted over rust, or some other "no-go" defect. They are ALL more expensive than when I purchased mine at the end of 2014. So if you are fond of your 3rd gen, drive carefully. Good specimen are getting rare.

I wanted to share my experience with the community. I can't guaranteed that insurance will always be this favorably for you, but I think combination of my good driving record, my insurance company, and the fact that I have bundled homeowners insurance all helped a little bit and getting a more than reasonable payout.

I am heading out to go scope out a replacement tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for me. LOL. I can't wait to get back to having fun again.
Attached Images
Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191230_001528-jpg  Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191201_185005-jpg  Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191230_001354-jpg  Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191201_185106-jpg  Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191202_135215-jpg  Update on my totalled build and insurance resolution.-img_20191202_135306-jpg 

Last edited by Road Bull; 12-30-2019 at 04:25 AM.
Road Bull is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote