Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-06-2020, 04:40 PM

jambalayas is on a distinguished road

jambalayas is on a distinguished road
Overlanding Shock Upgrade Questions

I know this question has been asked a bunch, and I've read multiple threads on similar questions, but wanted to see if anyone had any insight into our situation, and why since I'm totally new to this world.

Noob car owner here looking to get some insight on upgrading a stock 2019 SR5 to better handle an overlanding setup and life on the road.

We'll be going on a 6+ month trip through the US this spring, we'll have a Trekboxx shelf system in the back, bike rack/bikes, kitchen gear, food, etc, plus a RTT. Estimating about 1200lbs of constant weight (which includes two humans), a lot of that obviously being over the rear axle.

This setup will be on the 4Runner for most summers, then taken out for winter time, so the shock setup would need to be manageable unloaded as well.

From what I've read, it seems like progressive coils for the back, or airbags would be two of the better solutions. I honestly just don't know or have the experience of which is a better option for our setup.

I'm also not sure if it would make sense to change the front shocks as well?

I've set aside a few thousand dollars for this part of the project, (hoping it won't be that much, but am prepared to spend it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!