Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 PM

mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about

mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about mesooohoppy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyprat View Post
Don't underestimate the power of a 9mm round. It's more than sufficient in most self defense cases. Also, people who plan to shoot an AR15 SBR out of a vehicle, have probably never done it before. Heck, your ears will ring for a long time if you shoot it out in the open. The amount of concussion it creates is nothing to joke about. I wouldn't do this without adequate hearing protection.

OP, it's probably best to make a lockable storage case for the AR. Make sure it's securely bolted to the vehicle. I would personally make a shorter case and keep the upper and lower receivers detached. It only takes several seconds to put it back together.
I agree. Dont count 9mm out. It's why so many agencies are dropping 40 in favor of 9. Some of the +p loads and projectile tech is truly amazing. 9mm has come very far thanks to some great minds.

9mm and 330blk arent anywhere near as bad out of a short barrel as 5.56. 5.56 was never designed to be shot out of short bartels. Which is why the mk18 is the shortest service rifle there is out there. Velocity drops off incredibly quickly after that. My mk18 shoots handloads a little under 2600fps. That's 500-600 fps slower than a 16-18" barrel, and that's pretty much at a max charge.

There are also forward blast devices, such as the surefire warden that really help. Put one on a 9mm (like a ar9), and it's even better.

If you're getting shot at, or shooting to neutralize a threat, the last thing you are worried about is your hearing and your adrenaline is likely off the charts. With the added stresses of everything going on, I dont recommend keeping the upper and lower separate. You really need to make your rifle accessible as possible and be able to get into the fight ASAP with as little steps as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripT4R View Post
Drobs is the only one doing it right in this thread.

I carry my MK18 to the left of the center console using the pass seat as a stock rest, very similar to his photo. If i have a front passenger i throw it on the floor behind their seat.

A small bike lock through the fsp and around a seat mount would be a good way to secure it if you do need to leave it in the vehicle. Don't have an FSP? You are doing it wrong.
Yeah if you never plan to leave your vehicle. Even with a lock, a determined thief could have a pair of bolt cutters, or just separate your lower from your upper. This can all be done in about 15-20 seconds. Not to mention some of the stories I've heard about people getting pulled over and cops having no idea what an AR pistol because they assume it's a SBR. (Imagine trying to explain that to someone who has no idea, the premise of it doesnt make sense to begin with so good luck, lol)

I roll like that when I'm in the mountains where no one is around me, but as soon as I'm done it goes back in it's bag. Concealment is a great tool to have in your stable.

I prefer free floated barrels over FSB. I dont know what's wrong about having more potential accuracy?