Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM

pavelvoivoda will become famous soon enough

pavelvoivoda will become famous soon enough
Hilux Surf cruise control install

Ok, so
Toyota installed CC in Japan only on Surfs with the 5vz engine and actually only one model code - VZN185W-GAPGK which is a SR5-G. I think because distances are much shorter in that market, than those in the US.

In the US, 4Runners are equipped with two gens of CC. 1st gen is made up of a controller and actuator as two separate components. One sits in the engine bay, the other is in the cab.

Gen 2 CC is made up a single box with everything in one place and is installed in the engine bay.

So, simply go to a junkyard and buy a gen2 CC from a 4Runner (after 2000 i think(just look at the pics)) with the cable link, and all connectors, CC control switch, the steering wheel's rear bezel cover with hole for the CC control switch(or cut a whole in your own) and brake switch and clutch pedal's switch, if it s manual. Make sure the brake pedal switch is with 4 contacts, as the switch for just a regular brakes with now CC option, has only 2. Also cut the loom a few inches away from all the connectors that you take with you, so you can see the colors of the wire later to install them in your car.

You should also buy a spare piece of engine harness (any Toyota model), as it helps to have a variety of colored wiring to lengthen the wiring of the cruise control to reach where it needs to.

It doesn't matter what car or engine you are going to install it in. It needs a few signals from the car to work (vehicle speed, brake pedal signal, clutch pedal signal and ECT/OD/IDL engine speed), but not required, and can work entirely independent from any of the other systems that is normally connected to - AWD RDL and ENGINE ECUs...although if you decide to not connect everything, make sure you know how that will change other systems functionality. It definitely needs engine speed and brake pedal and clutch pedal signals, or it wont work properly or at all. Originally, the CC is connected to the engine ECU, AWD/RDL ECUs, DLC1 on 01 and on models.

Ive attached pics of gen 2 CC to see what it looks like, and one of the gen1 which there is no point dealing with as the engine controller on older models is separate/is the engine ECU...

The wiring schematic is not too complex. It's only one page, but it's just the wiring that takes time to pass through all the firewall and other looms to reach the combination meter, pedals, and ignition power and steering wheel.
To know what CC you will be buying, bring the schematic with you at the junkyard to compare the wiring when you get the parts.

There are two types of CC dash lights. I've managed to take out the gas gauge plate that has the cruise control icon in the dash (with out removing the gas guage needle - you have to use scissors to cut it out) and install it in my dash. But it is easier to find one with the icon in the lower part of the combination meter, as it is rectangular and easier to install and there are plenty of spare bulbs to use on the Hilux Surf.

I used the original bracket to attach the module behind the air cleaner element on my 4R. But depending on your KZ configuration, you will have to science it out where it's best to mount the CC, as mine is not a Hilux Surf, but a LHD united nations 4Runner. I know that the ABS control stays in that location on the Surfs.
I had to replace the original cable link with a bicycle one, cuz the original was short for where I had mounted it behind the air filter.

The pic of the CC in the red 4runner bay, is of of my gas US Runner, it is a gen1 CC module. Dont look for this CC, as it's more work to install and you have to know what engine ECU you have...

Ive installed it on a few KZ engines with the mechanical pump. Not knowing what throttle body you have, you'll have to find a way to make it pull on your TB link. I directly attached it to the link on the injector pump, as in the pic on the 1KZ-T (not 1KZ-TE).

You dont need all the wires, unless you want to be pedantic about it. Again- it can work independent of the other secondary systems.

I dont have a pic of the location of the CC installed in my car, just a pic before I did the mod, so I did some drawings to give you an idea where it stays and how it is attached to the accelerator link. I did managed to attach the original bracket by the lower bolt and one on the side but can remember if it was forward hole, or rear

I will try to take one today and add it. But here are pics of the general installation and what the gen 2 CC looks like - the wide connector.

Hope this helps you guys
Attached Images
Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2_7-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2_6-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2_3-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2_4-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen2_5-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_gen1-jpg  Cruise Control swap from 4runner to Hilux Surf-cc_ewd_4r_01-png 

2person xUN diesel T4R equipped for long distance touring w/ light-duty off-roading.
1000kms range w/ subtank

Last edited by pavelvoivoda; 01-31-2020 at 04:42 AM.
pavelvoivoda is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote