Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 10:58 PM

Taylor20 will become famous soon enough Taylor20 will become famous soon enough

Taylor20 will become famous soon enough Taylor20 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBub View Post
OME 861. You either love em or hate em. The thing is if you have a lot of gear all the time or an actual overland rig buildout in back is where these springs shine the most. Yes unloaded they sit high. No they are not for a rig that doesn’t have a ton of weight in back. A ton of weight would be along the lines of a fridge, slide, storage, support gear, rear tire swing out with fuel etc.... Just like you would re-gear to gain back performance from weight and tire size etc you add these springs to deal with....weight.
I have those now, and those that I have talked to with them agree its too much lift and too stiff. This sparked the quest, for me at least, to find a more suitable spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimkeith View Post
I just got a Slinky/Icon setup for our FZJ80 - the coils are designed to have multiple dead loops at ride height that work as a helper spring to keep the coil from falling out when drooped. Perhaps the Australian company that makes them would be interested in rolling a 3rd gen solution as well?
Slinky is good stuff, I'm just leaning more towards Dobinson because I have been in contact with someone about a creating a new option for the 3rd gen's...and I have just heard more about Dobinson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMach View Post
FWIW in my search for a shorter coil I got this from Dobinson.
C59-137V - 170lbs open -245lbs ride height - 331lbs collapsed - 420mm FH. The 70 mm difference in free height from an 861 or superflex might be an issue.
If the free height was there, these would be an excellent option with say under 150 extra lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT135 View Post
So is there a difference between the Dobsinson 210V and the OEM LC springs? WHy would I want to buy one vs the other? Can it handle weight better than the oem but isn't as crazy tall/heavy duty as the OME 861. Cause if that is the case I may be buying them.
Spring rate and coil diameter for the most part. The difference in minimal, only about .5" between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMiles View Post
I've had about 6 different rear spring pairs in my 4Runner, with many more sub-combos of packers and air bags. I have both high and variable weight in the back, since I have a 4XI swingout bumper and tow a light car trailer from time to time.
I ended up with the Superflex coils, simply because they have the highest "final" rate of any of the heavily progressive coils and prevent big rake changes with variable weight. This is a huge selling point, especially when they still ride very nicely sans trailer.
Unfortunately, air bags aren't quite the silver bullet they'd seem to be for variable weight, since you can't safely run them at 0psi. I always found them a bit harsh unladen, even inside soft coil springs.
I had Superflex before the 861's and swingout, drawer system. Amazing springs, but with extra weight, they sagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerks View Post
I'm glad you started this thread. I've been talking to Tyler about rear springs a good bit lately. I like the 861s when I have the swingout on and the truck loaded for a camping trip or something, but most of the time I wish they sat 1-2" lower. Like @AZBub mentioned, you really need a lot of weight to get them down to a reasonable height.
Ya, they are a good option, just not the right option for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchessy View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of what we did in high school to lower rigs. Take a torch and apply heat at the right point until the spring relaxes to the desired height.
Horrible idea

02 Sport
Toytec Boss/LJ - TRD Pro & 255's - TBU - 4:30's - Elocker
4xI - AED - Savage

Last edited by Taylor20; 01-10-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Taylor20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote