Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 PM

Venka93 is on a distinguished road

Venka93 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
I ended up replacing my tank because my old one was very rusty on top but for sure but I would replace the pump/strainer. you have easy access to the tank right now, the pumps on these trucks are known to go get tired after 20 years.

maybe optional because you have a lift and dropping the tank later will be pretty easy for you but still.

before you drop the body, take the steering rag joint apart. clean up the splines on the upper steering shaft and lube. same thing with the lower splines and lower shaft. you can use some sort of metal wedge to pry the pinch joints apart.

the last photo here in this part

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3354898-post131.html

3rd photo down as well

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3356856-post139.html

I was thinking I could drop the body and line up the steering shaft and rag joint connection. it worked but I ended up having to take it apart after the fact and get everything back into alignment. sucked.

also super important detail about steering.

you have a spiral cable that connects the horn, air bag, cruise control. do not spin the steering wheel around without removing the air bag and unplugging that cable. your steering wheel can only spin like 2.5 times around with that cable getting possibly tweaked.

https://www.toyota-4runner.org/1614120-post9.html

the next time I drop a body down I'm going to take the rag joint apart and slide the upper section onto the upper steering column. then after drop the lower section of the rag joint on the rack. then bolt them together. this part of the frame swap where you have to get the rack/steering wheel/alignment is a pain but worth a little time now... it all has to line up at some point.

I didn’t see your reply earlier so I just went ahead and dropped the body on the frame. I actually did all of why you said except for cleaning the steering splines! Should have checked. My doner frame came with a gas tank that was in excellent shape so that worked out great. My father actually stopped by to help with watching out for things when I was lowering the frame and he told me all about that steering wheel needing to be in certain place. Did you end up using the front sway bar links for the rear and 2nd gen for the front after the lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venka93 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote