View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM

firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light

firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light firebirdguy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSinzahn View Post
Hello all,

Pretty much just asking what the title says. I recently just got a 2006 4Runner with 192k miles (4.0L V6). I've been doing a bit of research on what to expect from such a high mileage vehicle but I was hoping for more opinions from others that actually own a high mileage 4Runner.

There has not been any reported accidents on the vehicle or anything worrisome. The service records that I know about just by going off of the Carfax are as follows:
124,602 miles - Front axle replaced/repaired, body electrical wiring repaired
154,754 miles - Alternator replaced, battery replaced
189,465 miles - Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
All of the other records that show are basic maintenance such as regular oil changes, brake pads, alignments, etc.

I've been driving it for a few days now quite a lot, haven't noticed any leaks anywhere and oil levels are remaining good. Runs smoothly and shifts smoothly.

Friend of mine who is a major fan of Toyota is trying to tell me to switch it to synthetic oil, is this necessary?? He also recommended filling it up with 91 octane instead of 87, that part I've heard several people mention because it apparently recommends to use 91 in the owners manual. Anyway, just hoping for a few opinions on what to do and what to expect with a 4Runner close to 200k.

Thanks for your time!
it is not necessary to run synthetic oil, main benefit will be longer oil change intervals & easier starting/better lubrication in cold temps... but todays standard oils are very good & synthetic is not needed. however at the prices of 5qt jugs its almost as cheap as standard oils. walmart has valvoline 5qt synthetic jugs for $21.

you dont need to run 91 octane, 87/89 is perfectly fine, but you will notice a little less MPG on the lower octane, if towing or abusing it the 91 is a benefit & will let the engine make more hp. but modern engines have knock sensors & will simply retard the timing to avoid any detonation or damage. i notice 3-4 tenths loss on the mileage meter running 87 compared to 91. & if you can get non ethanol in your area it gets better MPG than ethanol blends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscarguy View Post

I have been running 87 octane since i got it and no issues. I have not seen any 4unner 4.0 recommend 91.
read your owners manual, toyota definitely recommmends premium 91 fuel for 4th gen 4runners. at least for 2006-2009 v6 & v8.
firebirdguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote