View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 10:31 PM

ruff4runner will become famous soon enough ruff4runner will become famous soon enough

ruff4runner will become famous soon enough ruff4runner will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremluck View Post
So I built my dual battery setup just about 1.5 years ago. Which consists of two AGM batteries connected via a National Luna Intelligent solenoid. It has been working really well with close to 60 days of camping under its belt. Details on the build are here:
Dual Battery Setup (5th Gen Toyota 4runner) - Google Docs

I've recently noticed that my secondary battery hasn't been holding a charge sitting at around 12.2 volts after charging from the alternator for three hours. My battery isolator also will disconnect the batteries when the engine is running if I turn on all my off-road lights at the same time at night while traversing trails. I think some of this may be related to battery degradation especially since our alternator's charging voltage isnt ideal for AGM.

I dont have the ability to charge both batteries via shore power unfortunately. So I'm trying to find a solution. It would seem that ripping out the current solenoid system for an intelligent DC-DC charger would make the most sense but one of my requirements is the ability to link the batteries to winch or jump start the vehicle. With a DC-DC charger this would not be possible.

I know there are other folks here who have similar setups. What have you been doing? Augmenting with solar? Moving back to lead acid?
You can link/jump your batteries with a DC/DC charger. I have it on my rig. Here's the Redarc wiring guide.

BCDC Dual with Jump-Start - The New Ultimate Dual Battery Setup | REDARC Electronics
Attached Images
Dual Battery Setup 1.5 Years In (AGM Woes)-screen-shot-2020-01-14-6-19-17-pm-jpg