View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 02:02 PM

vegas4runners is on a distinguished road

vegas4runners is on a distinguished road
2007 SR5 2wd restoration build

So this is my newest/oldest project. My first vehicle was a 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2wd in sand/gold with chrome trim. Its an awesome car but has always in my opinion been on the uglier side of 4runners.

As of today I have purchased and build my dream 4runner to spec in a 2015 4x4 and its amazing! My wife took the 07 when she was still in college and has been driving it for the past 4 years. It has 195k miles on it and so far the only mechanical issue is we replaced the alternator at 165k miles. The paint is starting to chip and fade, the black parts are fading in the Vegas sun and honestly it makes me sad to see my first truck in such bad shape.

I have decided that because the engine is in great shape and the frame has no rust, I will start a small restoration project! This will not include any "off-road" modification as its a street car and I will be attempting to do it as cost effectively as possible.

As of right now the truck is 100% stock minus the 1 inch poly spacer lift that flattened to almost nothing in the past 5 years and I put my stock 5th gen rims and tires on it back in 2015 which I think looks really nice!

So here is the plan/timeline on the project.

Phase 1 Suspension:
I will be going a different route, we want to preserve the stock driving characteristics as much as possible while slightly stiffening the ride and providing some lift without a spacer. I will be installing a full set of 2016 4runner Trail edition suspension all with less than 1000 miles on it.

Items used:
-2016 Front Coilovers
-2016 Front UCA's
-2016 Rear Shocks
-2016 Rear Springs
-Moog Sway bar bushings front and rear

Phase 2 Tires and Wheels:
For tires I am going with a set of Falken Wildpeak AT's in the stock size of P265/70/17. Even though I will not be off roading, this is a restoration project so for looks I like a mild AT tire on my 4runners.

Items used:
-(5) P265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT's

Phase 3 Interior:
The interior isn't in bad shape but it does look like a 13 year old car. The seats are worn and less cushion than original. I am thinking either getting a good set of seat covers or possibly swapping in a set of 5th gen seats. I will have more information on this after this weekend. I am also wanting to upgrade the head unit to something that supports apple car play and a back up camera. I am leaning to a Pioneer unit due to price and selection.

Items used:
-Either Carhart seat covers in tan, or retrofit 5th gen tan seats.
-Pioneer AVH-1550NEX

Phase 4 Exterior:
This is going to be one of the last things to happen to the truck, the paint and exterior are having a really hard time in the Vegas sun, so I am wanting to pick something that is affordable, super durable and looks good. The plan is to do Raptor Liner on the entire truck and have it sprayed with 0 texture. If you haven't seen this stuff look it up. Very durable, very very cost effective, I am looking at less than $500 to do the entire truck. I will be going with the Magnetic Grey that was introduced with the 5th gens, It is going to be a flat version of that color and then we will spray the raptor liner with clear coat. After paint, I will be restoring all of the Black trim parts and replacing the chrome parts with color matched parts.

Items used:
-6 quart U-pol Raptor Liner tinted to OEM Toyota Magnetic Gray w/Gloss coat.
Attached Images
2007 SR5 2wd restoration build-4runner-jpg 
vegas4runners is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote